The Director of the Ayer Library is responsible for the management of all aspects of the library including services and building maintenance. The Director is to uphold the policies established by the Library Board of Trustees, the stipulations of the Acts of Incorporation of the Ayer Library passed by the legislature in 1894, the regulations of the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners and the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and local guidelines as they apply to the Ayer Library.
The Director works under the direction of the Library Board of Trustees with considerable latitude for independent judgement and action.
The Director is responsible for supervising all members of staff.
• Plans and initiates goals and objectives for the library in accordance with the policies of the Trustees.
• Develops, coordinates and prioritizes long and short range objectives for the library in accordance with the policies of the Trustees, Federal, State, and local guidelines.
• Initiates programs in anticipation of or in response to community needs.
• Evaluates developments in the library field as they apply to Ayer.
• Stays up to date on the trends, interests and needs of all patrons.
• Assists library patrons in the finding of library materials, reference resources, reader's advisory and the use of various technologies.
• Hires, trains, supervises and disciplines staff.
• Coordinates the work of library employees and develops work schedules.
• Maintains personnel records including sick and vacation records.
• Attends town department head meetings.
• Directs weekly library department head meetings.
• Works with the library department heads to plan future programs and needs of the library.
• Prepares yearly employee contracts for the town accountant.
• Compiles reports as needed for the Trustees, town, and state.
• Submits the annual state aid reports (ARIS) to the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
• Researches and prepares grants as needed.
• Recommends to the Trustees and the town an annual budget for the upcoming fiscal year; attends town meeting prepared to present information if needed.
• Maintains a system of bookkeeping records pertaining to the managing of the library budget including a record of all expenditures such as salary, supplies and services.
• Verifies and submits the library department bills to the town accountant.
• Makes decisions on supplies, equipment and materials needed for the day to day operations of the library.
• Establishes agreement with service providers and vendors.
• Investigates and makes recommendations regarding technology and other resources in the library.
• Responsible for collection development using established techniques and the Ayer Library's Material Selection Policy.
• Creates and presents a Director's Report to the regular monthly Trustees meeting.
• Formulates policies governing the library and recommends them to the Board of Trustees for approval.
• Recommends new procedures and technologies to improve the administration of library services.
• Composes and prepares public relations materials in order to highlight the Library's resources.
• Oversees all aspects of maintenance of the building, equipment in the building and the library grounds.
• Upholds established library policies and procedures.
• Uses library-provided means for continuing education and training. Attends training, workshops, conferences and other continuing education related to library services.
• Performs other duties as needed. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Knowledge and Abilities
In order to effectively fulfill the duties listed, the Director must understand the unique role of the Ayer Library and its status as a corporate library. The Director must be able to effectively develop relevant, engaging customer-centered programs and have comprehensive knowledge related to popular culture, literature, media, educational and technological trends. The Director must be proficient in the use of standard office technology and equipment, and keep current on established library policies and procedures to be applied fairly, evenly, and consistently and exhibit the ability to effectively interpret and implement policy and procedures. The Director must be able to provide customer service to the public in a quick, friendly, and accurate manner, and must be able to work well as both a team member and as an individual. The Director will establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, patrons and others in the community.
The Director must be able to lift 25 lbs. and be able to kneel, stand and sit for extended periods of time.
A Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university. Previous library experience and supervisory responsibilities are a plus. Technology requirements include knowledge of Evergreen, Microsoft Suite, Google, Envision ware and Muni-billing.
This is a full-time position. The Director is expected to work between 30-40 hours a week, including some Saturdays, and evenings for Board of Trustee meetings, and the annual Town Meeting.
Minimum $75,000 annual salary with municipal benefits.
The Ayer Library and the Town of Ayer are an equal opportunity employer.
Submit cover letter and resume by May 15, 2022 to email@example.com
Subject: Ayer Library Director. All submissions will be handled in confidence.
For additional information visit www.bibliotemps.com
For questions- contact BiblioTemps Manager, Amanda Fauver at firstname.lastname@example.org.