We're looking to hire TWO part-time Assistant Librarians who love story time, makerspaces, and providing direct customer service to youth and adults. In coordination with library staff and under the supervision of the Programs & Community Engagement Manager, the Assistant Librarian supports library operations by providing excellent customer service at the library’s service points and assists in planning and implementation of programs that promote literacy and lifelong learning.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the library when interacting with customers and staff; works at library service points providing information, reference services, and reader's advisory services; answers questions regarding library policies, procedures, and records; and maintains customer and staff confidentiality.
- Assists in the creation, promotion and presentation of library programs, both in the library and through outreach activities; may coordinate with individuals and community organizations to plan and schedule special programs and services; maintains and reports accurate records of programs and services provided.
- Helps to evaluate, recommend, and select materials for the library's collections; helps to maintain collections through weeding and rotation of materials.
- Helps customers with the use of library equipment and resources, including computers, e-readers, the online catalog, automated reference tools, the Internet, databases, printers, scanners and new technologies.
- Keeps informed of library information and changes via electronic and written communication and attendance at staff meetings.
- Completes special projects as assigned, in a timely manner.
- May coordinate and direct volunteers.
- Keeps current on library trends and technology.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic library functions and procedures; library principles and trends; familiarity with basic reference tools and philosophy; computer operations and information retrieval processes; collection development principles, and reader's advisory tools.
- Knowledge of Library's mission, values, policies, and strategic goals
- Proficiency in the operation of equipment necessary to perform the functions of the job.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor in working with customers, coworkers, and the community members
- Highly dependable, organized, focused, and able to successfully manage multiple projects
- Self-starter who takes direction well but also able to work independently
- Attention to detail, creative thinker and highly productive
- Must have ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and shift priorities as needed
- Commitment to working within a team environment and nurturing effective working relationships with individuals and groups
EVIDENCE OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- TRAINING: Some college required
- EXPERIENCE: One (1) year work experience in public library services or any equivalent combination of training and experience in customer service that provides evidence that the applicant possesses the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
A positive, forward thinking attitude and a willingness to take calculated risks.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The Lafayette Public Library serves a population of approximately 29,000 residents and is a member of the Flatirons Library Consortium. The Library has a committed staff dedicated to facilitating equal access to services, community building, innovation, intellectual freedom, literacy, and lifelong learning. Each member of our Library team is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, hard work, collaboration, and creative problem-solving.
Candidates with Spanish language skills strongly encouraged to apply.
Human Resources / Job Listings
1290 South Public Road
Human Resources Office - 2nd Floor
Lafayette, Colorado, 80026-1612