An employee in this position is responsible for providing advanced library services to customers at youth services desks by answering reference questions and assisting youth, parents, and caregivers with the selection of material and the use of library resources. Develops and presents programs for youth, birth through grade 12. Assists in youth collection development and system-wide initiatives.
- Maintains a dynamic and customer-service oriented youth department by assisting customers find information in a variety of formats, including in person, online or over the phone. Assists customers with digital needs, including computers, printing, and other items as needed. Creates engaging displays, brochures, and other materials to promote library services, resources, or programs. Staffs service points on a regular schedule.
- Develops, conducts, and evaluates a calendar of engaging and dynamic age-appropriate programs for youth on a variety of topics including literacy, science, technology, engineering, arts, and math.
- Promotes the library through active community engagement and outreach activities and programs at local schools, daycares, and other community agencies and events.
- Assists in collection development through selection and deselection of materials.
- Serves on the Youth Services Leadership Team and other communities as needed or assigned.
- Participates in development and presentation of system wide training in skills related to youth services. Attends trainings as needed.
- Acts as the Team Leader for the department or branch in the absence of the department or branch manager as needed.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health Insurance Provided by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC
Blue Options (PPO) Monthly Premium
County Contribution $766.67
Employee Only $51.00
Employee/One Child $157.00
Employee/Two Children $254.00
Provided through Delta Dental
Monthly Premium as of 07/01/2021 Low High
Employee only $30.16 $32.48
Employee + 1 dependent $60.88 $65.56
Employee + 2 or more dependents $90.18 $97.08
Provided through Eye Med
Monthly Premium as of 07/01/2021
Employee only $7.96
Employee + 1 dependent $15.40
Employee + 2 or more dependents $22.62
Supplemental Retirement Plans (401K and 457 plans)
Permanent Life Insurance
Term Life Insurance (County provides $5,000 of coverage for full time employees at no cost)
Critical Care Insurance
Short Term Disability Insurance
Long Term Disability
Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical and Child Care)
Paid Time Off
Sick Leave – 12 days per year
Annual Leave – Begins with 12 days per year and increases up to 27 days per year based on years of service
Paid Holidays – 13 days per year
Other Paid Leave
120 hours of paid Military Leave per federal year (for National Guard or Reserves)
4 hours of School Participation Leave per fiscal year (for parents of school age children)
Civil Leave (for jury duty required attendance)
Additional Info & Requirements
Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Cumberland County Human Resources Department, Amanda Turnmire (910) 323-6101