Under the supervision of the Coordinator of Adult Services, this position provides reference, technology help and readers' advisory services to the public at the Central Library including the delivery of information through a variety of digital formats. This is a 16 hour per week part time position with no benefits. Some nights and weekends required.
$18.00 per hour; 16 hours per week
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association
- One year of experience preferred
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Provides Reference and Readers’ Advisory Services for the public, including the delivery of information through a variety of electronic formats.
- Instructs library users in the use of the online catalog, basic reference tools, and other library equipment and services.
- Operates, troubleshoots and provides instruction on public computers and all library-owned technology.
- Assists with circulation functions including checking out materials, placing holds, and issuing library cards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to outstanding public service.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and public library reference service, in particular.
- Knowledge of basic computer troubleshooting including hardware and printers.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office applications.
- Knowledge of eReaders and eBooks platforms.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of current technological applications for information access. Ability to utilize web-based and subscription databases.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems, preferably Sierra ILS, with knowledge of create lists and statistics functions.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Julie Holden, Assistant Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail) Applications received by May 27, 2022 will receive first consideration.
The Cranston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The Library is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or other protected class status.