Under supervision of the Library Director, the Outreach Librarian provides library outreach services for the Albany County community. This position plans and coordinates the operations and activities of the Albany County Public Library’s Bookmobile, oversees older adult and homebound delivery. Through the bookmobile and other outreach services, this position focuses on extending services to people who may not otherwise be able to or feel comfortable accessing library services at the main Laramie Branch, including Spanish language speakers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Partnerships & Programming
- Collaborates with the Library Director in developing a vision, goals, and plans for bookmobile services in West Laramie and outside of Laramie, with a specific focus on serving Spanish Language speakers.
- Collaborates with the Library Director in developing partnerships and collaborative programming with other organizations in Albany County.
- Plan, prepare, and present programs for all ages with help and input from fellow staff and community partners.
- Purchases, organizes, and maintains outreach programming materials.
- Represents the library at community events such as parades, Farmer’s Markets, etc.
Bookmobile and Outreach Services:
- Drive, operates, and ensures the proper maintenance and servicing of the Bookmobile.
- Creates and maintains the Bookmobile schedule; coordinates scheduled stops in accordance with community needs.
- Maintains a comfortable library atmosphere for all library users – keep all areas sharp, tidy, and free of distractions. Serve as an advocate for bookmobile and outreach patrons. Encourage adults to use library resources and participate in programs.
- Provides reader’s advisory services to patrons of all ages.
- Oversee home delivery. Know all details of the process and make adjustments as necessary. Coordinate delivery schedule and identify opportunities for expansion.
- Promotes and maintains bookmobile collection areas through displays, weeding, and other methods, along with purchasing new materials within budget.
- Selects for ACPL Bookmobile and Large Print collections. May select for other areas of ACPL collections based on interest or expertise.
- Works scheduled hours on the Bookmobile and at the Circulation Desk and substitute for other staff as necessary.
- Maintains proficiency with library technology and equipment, including troubleshooting problems and light maintenance of library equipment (printers, copier, and microfilm reader).
- Works with other library staff to develop, conduct, and market basic computer instruction for the public in the library or bookmobile.
- Maintains patron privacy and other library values and advocates for intellectual freedom and freedom of access issues.
- Supervise Public Services Specialist assigned to Outreach Services.
- Supervise Library Assistant assigned to Outreach Services.
- Coordinate scheduling to fulfill requirements of Bookmobile and Outreach services.
- May direct work of volunteers, including court-ordered community service workers.
- Assist in managing the library’s web page and social media presence.
- Collaborate with Library Director in identifying ways to promote library bookmobile and delivery services.
- Submit monthly reports and event statistics.
- Participate in library meetings and committees, attend continuing education training, seek opportunities to learn new things, keep skills up-to-date, growing and follow current trends in adult services.
- Coordinates with Assistant Director in monitoring budgets for programming and materials. May seek additional funding for services through grant funding when appropriate, in coordination with the Library Director and ACPL Foundation.
- Will attain proficiency in basic circulation functions in order to provide backup for circulation desk, along with using cash register with accuracy and proficiency
- Is committed to public service values: works well with and is patient and helpful with all patrons, volunteers, and other staff members
- Utilize Wyoming State Library WYLD competencies for library staff: https://library.wyo.gov/wyld/network/groups/training/general/
- Other duties as assigned
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Salary & Benefits
- This is a salaried position. The salary is $45,700
- This is a full-time, benefitted position. Benefits package includes: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming Medical Insurance paid by employer; life, dental, and vision paid by employer; and required statewide retirement plan.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Master of Library Science or Social Work degree preferred, other degrees and relevant experience considered.
- Experience managing library collections
- Experience designing and implementing public programming.
- Three to five years of supervisory experience.
- Three to five years of library or human services experience.
- Ability to demonstrate practical commitment to equity and inclusivity in services and programming
- Bilingual skills.
- Required background check for final candidate.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and be able to meet the driver policy requirements. Documentation will be required for the final candidate.
- Expected to work 40 hours per week. Weekend and evening hours are required.
- Accountability: Acts decisively, shows transparency and assumes responsibility for making critical decisions; seeks to correct and learn from mistakes; solves problems in a thorough, yet timely manner; possesses the ability to work under tight deadlines and changing circumstances; works calmly through difficult tasks.
- Adaptability: Responds effectively to changes in direction; accepts new challenges and responsibilities; maintains a level head during difficult situations; shows foresight by anticipating problems and opportunities; accepts and learns new technologies.
- Communication: Presents information in a form that is understandable and accurate; listens actively; takes into account different audiences; builds strong work relationships with courtesy, sensitivity, trust, and respect.
- Library Ethics: Understands and acts in accordance with the values and ethics of library service, including the Library Bill of Rights, confidentiality of library records and privacy issues; distinguishes between personal convictions and professional duties by not allowing personal beliefs to interfere with providing equitable library services to all patrons.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Values diverse cultures and beliefs; effectively builds relationships based on the understanding of personality types; inspires individuals to succeed; maintains a positive attitude; accepts input and help from others; able to give and receive constructive feedback.
External Job Ad