The Library’s circulation and information desks serve as a key public face for the Albany County Public Library making sure that members of the community are able to find, access, and use the materials available from the library. Under the direction of the Library Director, the Library Assistant will help with all desk activities at the highest level of customer service. This includes checking materials in and out, performing basic technology troubleshooting and assistance, and assisting customers use the library and its services. The Library Assistant - Technical Services also supports the work of the Technical Services Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be committed to public service values: work well with and is patient and helpful with all customers, volunteers, and other staff members.
- Deal effectively with a variety of people in the face of interruptions and stress.
- Explain and enforce, with clarity and empathy, library policies and procedures to the public.
- Inform meeting room users of policies, collect fees, and set up equipment.
- Assist customers in placing holds/interlibrary loans, and other basic questions.
- Expect to be photographed for publication in newsletters, Facebook, and the library’s web page.
- Other duties as assigned.
Circulation and Clerical
- Meet intermediate Wyoming State Library (WYLD) competencies for library staff.
- Process library fines and fees as well as handle money for affiliated organizations.
- Use specialized software, such as SIRSI Dynix and WYLD and work with staff computers, public printer and library apps.
- Process circulating materials, assess conditions and accurately organize them.
- Safeguard customer privacy.
- Participate in library meetings and committees, attend continuing education training, seek opportunities to learn new things, keep skills up-to-date, follow current trends related to job area.
- Offer suggestions for better customer service and/or library functions.
- Show initiative and good judgment in dealing with unexpected situations.
- Maintain a comfortable and tidy library atmosphere.
- Assist the Library Director in recording and posting official minutes and documentation for the Albany County Public Library Board of Directors
- Assist the Library Director in updating and copy-editing official documents such as budget narratives, public policies, internal procedures, and procurement memos.
- Assist the Library Director in filing official documents and maintaining document retention schedules
- Treating any confidential information with the utmost care and professionalism
Additional Info & Requirements
- Some high school education.
- Demonstrated ability to work with the public.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate well both in writing and verbally.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Some customer service, hospitality.
- experience handling private information.
- Experience working in a library setting.
- Required background check for final candidate.
Employee is expected to work 20 hours per week. Employee will be required to work evenings and weekends, and will periodically need to adjust schedule to accommodate special programs and/or outreach events.
External Job Ad