Position Summary: This position provides public service to library users in the Nathaniel P. Hill Library at St. George’s School in Middletown, RI during the academic year. The position is also responsible for various day-to-day operations in support of circulation and collection maintenance functions.
Schedule: 18.50 hours per week; Mondays and Thursdays 4:00pm – 10:00pm and Sundays 2:00pm – 10:00pm. Monday holiday shifts required. This is a 10-month, academic year position with holiday and spring breaks, running from September to June.
- Contributes to the operations of the Nathaniel P. Hill Library program.
- Provides circulation, basic reference, and public service to library users.
- Assists with processing of interlibrary loan materials and new books and magazines.
- Participates in monitoring students during study hall.
- Basic troubleshooting of printer/copier/scanner and computers.
- Collaborates with other library personnel on special projects including circulation and collection maintenance projects.
- Monday holiday shifts required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be reliable.
- Commitment to customer service including a demonstrated ability to work effectively with high school students and faculty, staff and community members.
- Willingness to embrace the challenges of working in a boarding school environment.
- Strong computer skills. Outstanding organizational, written and communication skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively in a busy environment and, at the same time, able to work independently.
- Desire to learn new things.
- Candidates must pass a nationwide criminal record check.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English fluently.
- COVID-19 considerations:
All employees must have their COVID vaccine and booster.
- Experience working in a school environment, preferably with adolescents.
- Experience working in a library.
- Bachelors’ degree. MLS candidates will be given favorable consideration.
Physical Requirements: Working in an office and school environment. The abilities to occasionally lift files and boxes, walk up and down stairs, attend meetings in varying locations throughout campus, and use computers and related office equipment are required. Not all buildings on campus have elevators.
- Job Title: Public Services Library Assistant
- Classification: Staff, 10 months (September - June)
- Position Type: Part-time, Hourly (18.50 hours)
- Job Description Date: June, 2022
- Department: Library
- Reports to: Director of Library Services
St. George’s is an independent, coeducational boarding and day school offering a comprehensive college-preparatory program to students in grades 9–12. The library is an integral part of the community, open 82 hours/week during the school year. It is also a member of the Ocean State Libraries consortium, participating in the lending and borrowing of materials.
Interested candidates can send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org