Poudre River Public Library District
Multiple library locations
Job Title: Substitute Library Assistant
Reports To: Adult Information Services Librarian
Location: All District Libraries
Classification: Hourly, not classified
Benefits: Hourly Benefits Summary
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Salary Range: $19.76 - $24.71 per hour
Summary: Actively assists library customers with finding and using library resources, including the online catalog, public computers and variously-formatted materials. Maintains resource displays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
· Create a welcoming environment for all patrons and staff that fosters equity, diversity and inclusion by seeking to understand, respect and value individual differences.
· Provide responsive, courteous service to all customers, regardless of age, race, class, gender, appearance or ability.
· Creates positive experiences for library customers by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
· Assists customers in locating and using library resources, including the online catalog, public computers and variously-formatted materials. Provides readers’ advisory to customers.
· Provides accurate informational and directional assistance to customers.
· Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties in order to proactively assist customers.
· Performs circulation duties such as registration and renewal of customers’ accounts, checking library materials in and out, collecting fees, customer registration and issuing library cards.
· Maintains regular housekeeping practices as directed.
· May plan and implement public programs with assistance from volunteers and other District staff.
· Actively participates in merchandising library’s collections.
· Assists or may lead response to emergency situations including responding to customers in violation of the Library Behavior Rules.
· May assist with special projects and or programs both in and outside the library.
· May perform all Person in Charge duties as needed.
· Performs collection maintenance duties including tidying and shelving.
· Ability to work flexible schedule, including night and weekend shifts, at all three library locations, and at all public desks.
· Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including effective speaking, listening and writing are required. Must communicate effectively with a diverse population.
· Experience working with children, knowledge of child development and ability to engage children.
· Skill in operating a computer, computer equipment and printer/copier/scanner. Ability to demonstrate basic computer functions to customers.
· Ability to demonstrate positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor working with customers, coworkers and community.
· Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
· Knowledge of current and classic books, authors and illustrators for a variety of ages preferred.
· Must be competent in accessing, navigating, and troubleshooting digital resources such as downloadable materials and databases.
· Understanding of general areas of human knowledge, including arts, sciences, and literature, as well as periods of history and geography preferred.
· Must be detail oriented and possess superior customer service skills and experience.
· Ability to resolve customer complaints and handle emergency situations preferred.
· Must be a self-starter requiring little supervision as well as work cooperatively in a team environment.
One year of library or related customer service experience required. Technical knowledge and experience using downloadable materials preferred. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with customers and co-workers. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret information and procedures. Ability to effectively listen and respond to customers of all cultures, identities, ages and abilities. Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
· Work primarily in a library environment and sometimes in community settings.
· Regularly stand for long periods of time, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, sit, talk and hear.
· Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
· Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
· Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
· Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
· Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, smartphone, telephone, digital device, calculator, bar code reader, copier and printer.
· Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
· Moderate to loud noise levels.
· Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
· Work a varied schedule at various locations, including weekends and evenings.
· Respond to potentially stressful situations including medical, facility and behavioral emergencies.
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
Human Resources / Job Listings
Apply online only. No phone calls, please. https://www.poudrelibraries.org/jobs/