Pikes Peak Library District
1175 Chapel Hills Dr, Colorado Springs
Are you a self-starter with attention to detail who enjoys a collaborative work environment? The Pikes Peak Library District has outstanding staff members and is known for great customer service. We are looking for a Senior Library Associate who has excellent communication skills and a commitment to serving library patrons. This Senior Library Associate position is in Collection Management and is part of the Cataloging work group.
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by performing cataloging tasks to maintain PPLD’s catalog and facilitate patron and staff access to library materials.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides copy cataloging in a variety of formats, including foreign language materials
- Verifies and assigns Dewey classification numbers
- Creates brief bibliographic records for items being ordered
- Handles corrections to catalog records and maintains the catalog by editing, deleting, and merging bibliographic records
- Applies independent judgment in reviewing records and refers problems to the Senior Cataloger
- Assists staff with cataloging questions
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Keeps informed about library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current library services and trends.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with patrons, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires 4 years applicable work experience or a bachelor’s degree; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
2. Requires a minimum of two years of library experience
3. Cataloging experience is preferred.
4. Requires experience with computer equipment and software applications.
5. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditioning. Position includes repeated lifting, bending, stretching, standing and walking. Ability to sit and perform repetitive data entry for extended periods is required. Regular lifting of boxes weighing up to 25 pounds and shifting boxes weighing up to 50 pounds is required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
(40 hours per week, non-exempt)
Position # 170929002
DATE POSTED: July 06, 2022
LOCATION: 1175 Chapel Hills Dr, Colorado Springs, CO 80920
STARTING WAGE: $17.85 per hour + full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week per the following schedule:
Monday – Friday : 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380.
CLOSING DATE: Online application materials must be received by July 25, 2022, at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
§ are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
§ are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-Verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
§ may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
§ may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
§ must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
§ understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
719-531-6333 extension 6380