Provides public library services at library locations; performs directly related work as required.
Examples of Essential Work
- Determines patron needs and provides guidance, information, technological assistance, readers advisory and related library services;
- Maintains a knowledge of informational services within the library and provides research and reference services to patrons on a wide variety of subjects and educational levels;
- Explores all possible information sources for inquiring patrons, including all materials within the Library system of Manchester, contributing Libraries in the inter-library loan program and other related sources as necessary;
- Maintains a safe and secure library environment through monitoring patrons adherence to library procedures and guidelines and maintaining an awareness of all persons within the facility;
- Plans, prepares and directs or conducts youth and adult programs, such as technology classes and online searching skills as assigned;
- Reviews and makes recommendations for the materials collection at assigned locations and on weeding and ordering;
- Ensures library equipment is in working order, including performing routine maintenance;
- Supervises subordinate positions at the assigned location;
- Ensures that patron service problems are resolved in a courteous and timely manner, interpreting library policy as necessary;
- Operates and maintains various audio-visual and technology equipment;
- Serves as a liaison between the community and the library system on a daily basis, developing positive relationships by bringing library materials and presenting programs at various community sites;
- May perform the duties of other classes as necessary to provide timely and effective service to patrons;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions; and more.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master of Library Science, Computer Science, Public Relations Degree or related; and
- 1-3 years of library experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work.
Other Special Qualifications
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and or technology
- Staffs Information services desk and other public services desks
- Determines patron needs and provides guidance readers advisory and related library services to patrons
- Responsible for some collection development activities
- Schedule includes nights and weekends
Additional Info & Requirements
Please submit a cover letter and resume with your application.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Human Resources Department
One City Hall Plaza
Manchester, NH 03101