Wage: $2,434.40 - $2,980.80 Biweekly
Job Type: Full-Time
Closing Date: 8/8/2022 or until filled
Locations may vary and be updated if additional vacancies become available.
Purpose: The Customer Experience Supervisor for Douglas County Libraries (DCL) oversees the delivery of services intended to achieve a vibrant library. This role works as an effective member of the Customer Experience division team, and on cross-departmental teams to achieve set goals aimed at encouraging discovery and interaction with the library. This position ensures that expectations of consistent service delivery across the district are met. The role requires considerable systems thinking, excellent attention to detail, and a talent with working with people and building effective teams. The role assists the department manager with creating and executing strategic work plans based on overall library district strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a member of the branch leadership team and as a leader for DCL to advance library services in Douglas County.
- Exemplifies attentive onsite leadership in the library branch, and provides public service alongside staff 20-25% of work time each week.
- Leads with enthusiasm and excitement for providing a premium customer experience and creating a vibrant library.
- Under the direction of the Customer Experience Manager, coordinates Person-in-Charge (PIC) learning and provides branch-specific training for PICs.
- Actively participates at DCL Library Leadership meetings. Works collaboratively with leadership team to make continual progress toward realizing the district’s strategies and improving the quality of library services.
- Proactively handles change management initiatives and works cooperatively with the Customer Experience Manager and library leadership to communicate and implement DCL strategies and goals. Provides clarification to subordinates to achieve standards set forth by manager.
- Works as part of a team to implement projects in accordance with set timelines. Provides clarification to subordinates so implementation achieves standards set forth by manager.
- Collaborates effectively to achieve desired outputs and outcomes for the organization.
- Ensures excellent customer service at the library, and works to ensure service is premium and consistent throughout district.
- Provides clear communications with subordinates and management to ensure strategic and tactical messages are understood.
- Plans and facilitates staff meetings. Attends meetings and participates in committees and task forces as assigned.
- Ensures branch team understands and adheres to DCL policies and procedures.
- Takes ownership of the customer experience, embraces innovation and experimentation, finds new ways to create connections with the community, and creates a sense of discovery and magic in the branch.
- Serves as Person-In-Charge in coordination with other branch leaders. Serves as on-call supervisor on designated weeks throughout the year.
- Collaborates with the Learning and Development Department to identify staff training needs.
- Demonstrates strong communication, organizational, time management and strategic thinking skills. Maintains a positive growth mind-set.
40% Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains new department staff.
- Monitors and develops employee performance, including delivering recognition and constructive and timely feedback.
- Recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, or terminations.
- Handles discipline and terminations in accordance with organizational human resources practices.
- On call in crisis situations.
- Ensures that team consumes, understands, and effectively utilizes organizational communication.
- Provides direction, support, feedback, and leadership to direct reports.
- Ensures team brand compliance and excellent internal and external customer service in interactions with customers and staff.
- Ensures that team aligns with organizational goals and values.
- Regularly meets and spends time with staff to ensure an appropriate level of performance and offer an ongoing opportunity for feedback and professional development.
- Promptly approves timecards and time off requests.
- Performs the role and responsibilities of the manager in a backup or supportive role as needed.
20% Departmental Operations:
- Supports Branch Services Supervisor by monitoring staff schedule and helping to fill unexpected vacancies as they occur.
- Assists the Customer Experience Manager in preparing yearly budgets for the Customer Experience Team. Is responsible for submitting invoices as per purchasing guidelines.
- Coordinates with Collection Services to support collection maintenance, merchandising, and displays for materials.
- Communicates regularly with customer experience staff in order to share information about DCL strategies and goals, activities, and information needed to perform at a high level.
- Maintains appropriate time management related to organizing and prioritizing work including, e-mail management, returning phone calls, and other general administrative duties.
- Maintains expert knowledge and use of computers, Microsoft Office products, and industry-specific software.
- Learns new technology that is introduced in the industry and the organization, as needed.
- Stays current on DCL processes and information sources.
10% Continuous Process Improvement:
- Fosters a culture of innovation and continuous improvement. Looks for efficiencies and ways to improve the customer experience.
- Utilizes user data and workflow evaluations to judiciously make changes.
- Works with department manager to maintain yearly budget supporting district philosophies and priorities.
- Prioritizes financial stewardship in decision-making, and controls staffing and equipment costs.
- Clearly communications directives to team and drafts processes and procedures as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will live and exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
- Three or more years’ library experience
- One year of supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in library science or related field
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org
Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change