The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials.We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces and equitable policies & procedures.
The Mobile Services Department’s reach spans across the city of Denver, meeting community members where they are to provide library services and access. Under the umbrella of the Communications and Community Engagement department, the Mobile Services division delivers library programs and services through a mobile fleet to increase library access to target populations, including children, teens, and older adults. We provide library services and resources including intergenerational programming to a diverse customer base outside library locations and create positive experiences for library customers visiting the bookmobile by checking out books and other materials.
DPL is hiring a Library Outreach Specialist in the Mobile Services Department to help in the development of strategic library outreach and community engagement, specifically to adults and older adults. This role will work to deliver and design library services for a diverse customer base, strengthen community connections, and represent the Denver Public Library to stakeholders and the community. In this position, you will lead the planning of and participation in special events, and utilize mobile tools, including driving large vehicles, to increase library presence in the community.
You will assist customers and train staff on readers advisory, reference assistance, technology navigation, and the development of offsite programming. This role will work with adult service providers, older adult home service coordinators, and organizations serving people experiencing life challenges to plan bookmobile outreach across Denver. The customers you assist will include people who have Alzheimer’s, dementia, memory loss, or other forms of cognitive impairment.
This role will help lead collection maintenance and collection development activities for adult materials in Mobile Services. You will work collaboratively with other staff and library branch locations to identify library outreach needs for adults and older adults in metro Denver and participate in relevant library committee work. You will develop and maintain strong and lasting partnerships with community partners and work directly with community members to understand and deliver on their library needs.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Knowledge of trauma informed care practices.
- Experience working with older adults and people experiencing life challenges.
- Experience with people who have Alzheimer’s or dementia or other forms of cognitive impairment.
- Knowledge of accessibility informed practices with regard to physical, cognitive, and other disabilities.
- Knowledge of adult publishing trends, popular media, and collection development best practices.
- Excellent customer service skills, including the capability to provide equitable, trauma informed and empathetic customer service drawn from lived experiences and knowledge of EDI concepts and practices.
- Knowledge and experience of community engagement practices.
- Ability to listen to and evaluate community needs and design services and programming to meet those needs including the ability to facilitate group conversations.
- Skill in providing reference, readers and media advisory services to all ages.
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment with continuous lifting of objects weighing up to 75 lbs and moving heavy carts in tight spaces. Much of this work is done in an outdoor environment.
- Ability to create a welcoming environment outside library walls.
- Ability to supervise and lead staff during outreach events.
- Skill in using and assisting customers with technology.
- Experience with program design and evaluation.
- Experience with event planning and community partnership building.
- Ability to work as independently as a subject matter expert and leader.
- Ability to thrive working in an environment with constant public contact with people from all backgrounds and age groups. Including the ability to demonstrate positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor in working with customers, coworkers and community.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate, and handle stressful situations in a positive manner including setting boundaries and safety expectations with coworkers and community members.
- Knowledge of presenting and providing library services to customers with varying levels of experience and knowledge.
- Ability to safely operate large vehicles.
Other things to know:
This position requires a Master's in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution or plans to receive one within 90 days of hire.
DPL is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion; diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
This position requires valid Colorado driver's license with a good driving record.
This position requires a flexible attitude for working in outreach including a variety of connectivity, bumpiness, motion, climate and environmental factors that could impact working conditions. This includes a large amount of outdoor work.
The schedule will be determined by the needs of the department and may include weekend and evening hours.
This position is based at the Central Library, which has no free parking. Our business office hours are 8am to 5pm, with occasional evenings and weekends.
Second language proficiency preferred.
We anticipate this position to close 8/12/2022. Please submit an application at your earliest convenience in order to be considered.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The City and County of Denver benefits package will be offered. While the full salary range is $53,574 - $88,397, we anticipate offers will fall between $53,574 - $62,280 per year.