The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This is an opportunity to join our team and be the cornerstone on which accurate delivery of materials enables all customers to find what they are looking for or get a referral to the staff that can best help them with their needs. As a Library Assistant I at the Denver Public Library, your job will be the accurate and efficient handling of all branch library materials. Your excellent stewardship of DPL materials will result in the best customer service as all ages of customers are able to find the subject area or exact item they are looking for.
You will create a positive experience for library customers by shelving, transporting, and retrieving library materials according to the library’s classification system so that library customers are provided with materials in a timely manner. To do this, you will use technology and other mechanical tools related to the processing of library materials such as email, internet and automated software. You will also support library operations by assisting with collection maintenance, displays, shifting collections as needed, keeping shelves neat and faced, processing donated materials, and other duties as assigned. You’ll follow ergonomic best practices to ensure a healthy workplace and participate in approved learning opportunities that support the library's value of curiosity through research and education.
About Our Branch
The Sam Gary Branch Library is an active library that provides service to diverse customers from many Denver neighborhoods. The branch is located in the family friendly Central Park neighborhood of Denver. It is the largest branch and has the highest number of visitors, check outs and returns. The library serves a high volume of children and their caregivers. We provide several storytimes a week and have an active Teen Advisory Board. Many of our customers are daily or weekly library users and we strive to connect with them on a personal level. Our ideaLAB was constructed in 2020 and opened in June of 2021. The ideaLAB serves customers of all ages and skill levels, and is busiest when school is not in session (summers, school breaks, weekends and after school hours).
Our ideal candidate:
- Is organized, reliable, and able to work accurately and quickly with numbers and letters.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude, cultural sensitivity and sense of humor in working with customers of all ages and backgrounds, coworkers and community.
- Demonstrates innovation and flexibility in a team environment.
- Demonstrates an ability to cope with tasks that are repetitive.
- Recognizes and adopts time saving skills.
- Recognizes that the work of the shelving team influences how well your colleagues are able to meet the needs and curiosities of our many customers.
- Has the ability to display materials that reflect people from multiple racial and cultural environments and backgrounds.
- Has the ability to pass a physical examination and a background check after the offer to hire has been made.
- Has the ability to work in a physically demanding position with continuous lifting of objects that can weigh up to 25-50 pounds.
- Ability to push full carts of materials and lift up to 25 lbs.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
We anticipate this posting to close on 8/5/22. Please submit an application at your earliest convenience in order to be considered.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The City and County of Denver benefits package will be offered. While the full salary range is $15.87 - $23.81, we anticipate offers will fall between $15.87 and $17.86 per hour.