The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Library Assistant II for the Sam Gary Library Branch. You will be spending most of your time at customer-facing service points, welcoming a diverse population with respect and dignity, and creating a safe library space where all are free to explore and connect. You’ll make positive experiences for library customers by checking out and returning books, registering customers for library cards, ordering books and other library materials from other agencies, and responding to customer questions about using library resources. You will assist customers with both library and personal technology.
You’ll use library technology and other tools to efficiently process and route library materials with accuracy and attention to detail while staying current on circulation policies and procedures. You’ll grow as you support the library's goal of being a learning organization by participating in approved learning opportunities, and support through action the Library's mission, vision and values and goals. You may assist with shelving, collection maintenance, and outreach projects as requested.
About Our Branch
The Sam Gary Branch Library is an active library that provides service to diverse customers from many Denver neighborhoods. The branch is located in the family friendly Central Park neighborhood of Denver. It is the largest branch and has the highest number of visitors, check outs and returns. The library serves a high volume of children and their caregivers. We provide several storytimes a week and have an active Teen Advisory Board. Many of our customers are daily or weekly library users and we strive to connect with them on a personal level. Our ideaLAB was constructed in 2020 and opened in June of 2021. The ideaLAB serves customers of all ages and skill levels, and is busiest when school is not in session (summers, school breaks, weekends and after school hours).
Our ideal candidate has:
- Ability to thrive in an active work environment with constant public contact. Excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude, cultural sensitivity, compassion, and a sense of humor when working with customers and colleagues of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to work closely with a team to complete daily, weekly and monthly tasks.
- Ability to use workplace technology effectively including email, calendar, internet, databases, video conferencing, and other software, plus a willingness to learn new technology as needed.
- Skill in communicating and presenting information to customers with varying levels of experience and knowledge using principles of Trauma Informed Care
- Skill in cash and credit card handling and making simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to adapt to the ebb and flow of materials intake and stay focused on repetitive tasks in a busy and physically-demanding environment.
- Ability to prioritize and creatively solve problems with attention to detail.
- Ability to pass a background check after the offer to hire has been made.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
We anticipate this posting to close on 8/5/22. Please submit an application at your earliest convenience in order to be considered
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The City and County of Denver benefits package will be offered. While the full salary range is $16.22 - $24.33, we anticipate offers will fall between $16.22 and $18.25 per hour.