Jefferson County Public Library
Library Collection Services - Wheat Ridge, CO
The Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is hiring an insightful, adaptable, and vibrant Metadata & Cataloging Librarian to enhance the patron experience by improving the discoverability of materials. Primary responsibilities will include complex database maintenance and reporting. Additional primary responsibilities adding, updating, and maintaining records in the JCPL catalog, both individually and using batch processes. Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119 and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association. Position reports to the Cataloging Services Supervisor.
- DATABASE MAINTENANCE: Identifies, investigates, and solves isolated and systematic data integrity or quality problems. Ensures data consistency across all formats, including e-resources. Manages Automated Authority Control and Headings Reports programs in Sierra. Manages URL checking programs in Sierra. Analyzes series use and consistency in the database and normalizes series entries. Tracks and reports collection and holdings statistics using a variety of tools including Decision Center, Sierra Create Lists, CollectionHQ, and Excel.
- CATALOGING: Transfers, loads, deletes, batch edits, and performs quality control checking of MARC records from third party vendors. Enhances vendor-supplied records to meet quality standards. Documents data quality or product processing issues for Supervisor for quality control discussions with vendors. Performs original and complex cataloging of materials as necessary. Handles corrections to catalog records and maintains the catalog by editing, deleting, and merging bibliographic records. Assists staff with cataloging questions.
- DAILY OPERATIONS: Serves as Person in Charge on a routine basis for their local location. Participates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives.
- OVERSIGHT: May assist in training and mentoring the activities of other staff. Ensures adherence to established policies, procedures, and standards.
- SPECIAL PROJECTS: Works closely within Collections and with other JCPL teams and shareholders on special projects that involve our collection – maintenance, revisions, reprocessing, etc.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Preferred – Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) or Library Information Systems (MLIS).
Preferred – Experience with a library management system (LMS); including an understanding of bibliographic, holdings and item records (JCPL has an Innovative Sierra system)
Preferred – Experience with catalog integration with a discovery layer (JCPL uses BiblioCore)
Preferred – One year cataloging a variety of bibliographic and physical formats
Preferred – Experience using cataloging tools, such as OCLC Connexion and MarcEdit.
Preferred – Experience with Resource Description & Access (RDA), MARC 21 and Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH)
CORE LIBRARY SERVICES: Works collaboratively and participates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives. Maintains current knowledge of trends in libraries and cataloging and related fields to suggest new services and processes for development and implementation.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.