Arapahoe Library District - Southglenn Branch
6972 S. Vine Street, Centennial, CO 80122
The Arapahoe Library District is looking for a Supervisor to join our progressive library system. We are looking for someone with excellent communication skills who has at least two years of successful supervisory experience and two years of similar experience in library service or customer service as well as proven leadership experience. Are you passionate about creating superior customer experiences, technology, non-traditional library services and research? Please read the complete job description, and if these are experiences and qualifications you have, then we want to hear from you.
Title: SUPERVISOR, Southglenn Library
Location: Southglenn Library, 6972 S. Vine Street, Centennial, CO 80122
Reports to: Manager, Library
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Rate: $59,200 - $73,900
Purpose: Responsible for daily operations of the library. Provides team leadership, trains and mentors library staff. Provides ongoing communication and solicits regular input and feedback from staff. Welcomes and assists patrons in the use of the library.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for daily operations of the library by allocating resources, planning and prioritizing work, gathering and communicating information to employees, and making decisions to ensure the proper functioning of the library, including troubleshooting building and equipment related issues and communicating with other library departments.
- Responsible for monthly scheduling of library employees to ensure appropriate staff coverage to provide each patron an outstanding library experience.
40% SUPERVISION AND LEADERSHIP
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains new department staff.
- Oversees scheduling and supervision of the department.
- In collaboration with Human Resources recommends salary increases, promotion and transfers.
- Handles discipline and terminations in accordance with practice.
- Supervises and manages department assignments and priorities.
- Monitors and develops employee performance, including delivering recognition, supporting ongoing professional development and providing constructive and timely evaluations.
- Leads by example.
- Minimum 10% of time is spent working alongside with employees, including assisting patrons and material handling duties. This includes a minimum of two shifts per month on evenings/weekends.
- Provides ongoing communication and solicits regular input and feedback from staff.
- Provides ongoing input and feedback on organizational direction and initiatives.
- Promotes collaboration and team building.
- Demonstrates enthusiastic leadership and support for change implementation.
- On-call in crisis situations.
- Advances professional knowledge through ongoing learning and development.
15% CUSTOMER RELATIONS
- Promotes positive relationships with co-workers and collaborates with others to meet the needs of staff and patrons.
- De-escalates and resolves concerns from the public and employees by researching problems, seeking alternative solutions, and making decisions to satisfy patrons and staff.
- Builds and maintains relationships with community members, which may include outreach to community groups.
Performs other related duties as assigned and requested
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- May lead or participate on project teams as needed.
- May lead District trainings.
- Two years of similar or related experience, such as library service or customer service.
- 2 - 4 years successful supervisory experience.
- Experience teaching, training or mentoring others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate effective leadership skills, including practical thinking, problem solving, adaptability, coaching, mentoring and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to keep confidential information.
- Ability to travel between facilities.
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and show initiative.
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks.
- Intermediate technology skills for Windows, Word and Outlook and familiarity with Excel.
- Ability to demonstrate curiosity in the vast technological and online resources the library has to offer and comfortable learning side by side with patrons.
- Ability to communicate new ideas, products and services in a positive and engaging manner.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for an environment of constant change.
- Ability to work with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Intermediate knowledge of library online resources.
- Ability to provide intermediate advisory services to patrons in multiple collection formats and genres.
- Demonstrate ability to work with children and teens.
- The essential duties for this position are performed in an indoor environment.
- Moderate noise (computers, phones, printers and patron interactions).
Physical activities required to perform essential duties include:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 25-50% of the time.
- Must be able to move around 75-100% of the time.
- Ability to lift to 40 lbs.
- Ability to carry up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to push and pull a cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop 50% of the time.
- Use of hands, fingers, and grasping of books, DVDs are required, with repetitive motion.
- Long periods of sitting, remaining stationary, or moving around.
- Frequency or repetitive actions which includes typing, shelving materials, occasionally opening and closing media cases.
- Bending, grasping, stretching without limitations which includes reaching into bins for materials, moving bins and carts filled with materials, shelving and shifting materials at various height levels.
- Lifting above your waist, head, shoulders, etc. up to 25 lbs.
This job description describes the general level of work being performed and is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties or aspects associated with the job, and may be amended anytime based on business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Inclusion and diversity are part of our values at Arapahoe Libraries.
Qualified applicants who represent the diversities of the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Retirement Plan, Time Off Programs (Vacation, Sick, Holidays)
Established in 1966, the Arapahoe Library District serves more than 200,000 residents living in Arapahoe County. Arapahoe County and other major suburban counties make up the greater metropolitan area surrounding Denver, Colorado. The Arapahoe Library District operates eight branch libraries, including mobile library services, and a library at the County Detention Center, funded by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department. A seven-member Board of Trustees sets the library budget and determines policy.
External Job Ad
APPLY ONLINE at http://arapahoelibraries.applicantpro.com/jobs/ and select the position you are interested in. Click on “Apply Now” and create a login that will allow you to submit interest for any open position. You may also attach a resum