Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing professional, customer-focused public service, conducting programs, or participating in targeted activities for a designated age group, population or service function. Supports adult programming, adult services, and business reference inquiries by connecting patrons to reputable resources.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
▪ Provides a wide variety of public services for customers as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment.
▪ Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all customer and staff interactions; models exemplary customer service behaviors for library staff.
▪ Provides general assistance and information about library services, collections, and procedures; assists customers with complex searches for materials or online information, technology support, and community resources.
▪ Provides individual readers’ advisory assistance, providing materials in requested formats that engage, enrich and inform. Provides expertise regarding developmental stages, interests, and literature for assigned age groups or target populations.
▪ Develops and implements programs as assigned; trains program volunteers, promotes programs through established community contacts and internal departments.
▪ Assists the Library Manager or Library Services Director in scheduling, conducting meetings, programming selection and coordination with the other departments.
▪ Provides specialized research assistance and training.
▪ Supports adult programming, adult services, and business reference inquiries by connecting patrons to reputable resources.
▪ Performs community outreach activities.
▪ Develops reading aids for assigned age or interest groups, including reading lists, pathfinders, book talks or book discussions.
▪ Promotes library services through tours, demonstrations, talks, and displays; may teach classes on technology, or other division specific topic to customers.
▪ May act as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective operation of the library; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and submitted as required.
▪ Compiles data or research for Service or branch reports as assigned.
▪ Acts as a special resource provider in specific service areas, including targeted age groups, technology programming and support, makerspaces/creative commons equipment and activities, special collections, or collection management.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
▪ Provides support for specialized projects, services, programs and activities related to divisional strategic goals and objectives; serves on project teams or committees.
▪ Keeps informed about library and department information.
▪ Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
▪ Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
▪ Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
▪ Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
▪ Demonstrates knowledge of library trends, processes and best practices.
▪ Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
▪ Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
▪ Demonstrates commitment to principles of intellectual freedom and all aspects of customer diversity.
▪ Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
▪ Ability to effectively train others.
▪ Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
▪ Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, Integration Library System along with standard office equipment.
▪ Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
▪ Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires an MLS or MLIS degree.
2. Requires a minimum of one year of library experience or other public service experience
(Library experience preferred).
3. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Position requires the ability to push a loaded book truck.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
To learn more about PPLD's benefits, visit https://ppld.org/careers/benefits.
External Job Ad
APPLY ONLINE at https://ppld.org/adult-librarian-210131601.