The incumbent in this position will coordinate technology and computer training to meet library initiatives for adult learners. Responsibilities include development of curriculum and delivery of technology specific training. Instructors will teach classes ranging from approximately 90-120 minutes each, in addition to time allotted for planning and teaching content creation.
The salary range for this position is $19.00- $48.00 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience.
This is a part-time position working less than 20 hours per week.
Position will remain open until filled.
The Loveland Public Library is seeking dynamic individuals with a passion for teaching technology. The library is seeking multiple instructors for adult learning programs that will focus on technology and applications. The team is looking to hire both Spanish and English speaking instructors who will rotate instruction, and have the ability to cover classes for the others.
Loveland Public Library, located in the heart of Loveland, serves a population of 77,000 from a beautiful LEED Gold Certified building. The recently remodeled and expanded facility was designed with art-inspired elements from the surrounding Rocky Mountains and Big Thompson River. A large-capacity public computer lab, learning center and creator space welcome over 45,000 patrons each year. A rich array of programs and services including bilingual storytime, writing workshops, cultural celebrations, a used bookstore, a whimsical children’s area and a YOUmedia lab for teens make Loveland Public Library a destination for locals and visitors alike. Partnerships with organizations serving diverse populations support the library’s mission to inform, inspire and engage a strong community through outreach, classes, afterschool programs, and technology access.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and deliver computer training modules and workshops for adults on topics surrounding computers, mobile devices, and software.
- Training modules include the following topics:
- Email and varying email accounts
- Internet navigation and web browsing, internet searching
- Microsoft Office software such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Android and/or iPhone smartphones
- Zoom and/or additional web-conferencing software
- Basic computer skills with Windows 10 PCs
- Basic computer skills with Apple/Mac PCs, Chromebooks and Chrome operating systems
- Google Workspace/productivity apps such as Drive, Gmail, Docs, Slides, and Sheets
- Adobe Creative Cloud applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and Acrobat
- Social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Tiktok, LinkedIn, and the like
- Wordpress and/or web development; digital citizenship and basic online safety practices.
- Work with library staff to create teaching outline and determine instructional methods based on student needs.
- Selects or develops teaching aids, such as training guides, materials, visual aids, and computer tutorials.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of training modules, workshops, and make changes to instructional methods based on feedback.
- Complete administrative tasks such as skill assessments of participants, attendance sheets, class evaluations, creating and updating class descriptions for brochures and cheat sheets, and printing of instructional material.
- After class, clean desks & computer stations, turn off and put away equipment, and lock up before exiting classroom.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- May provide virtual/remote computer class instruction utilizing Zoom web conferencing software.
- Other Duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of different technology and software required such as Chromebooks, ChromeOS, Google Workspace Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom, iPhones and iOS, Android phones and Android OS, email and email providers, internet browsers, internet searching, internet navigation, Adobe Creative Cloud, social media platforms, and web development.
- Strong verbal communication and customer service skills are required.
- Work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically.
- Perform job duties effectively during relaxed or stressed activity level within the department, including handling difficult situations involving participants with patience and good judgment.
- Must demonstrate competent organizational and planning skills and prepare materials for classes.
- Work independently or in a group, complete tasks on time, and constructively problem solve.
- Establish warm, customer service-oriented relationships with customers of all ages.
- Welcome diverse populations, including but not limited to cultural, racial, economic, and ethnic diversity.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge & experience creating instructional tools for adult learners.
- Knowledge of strategies and techniques to instruct students of all ages and learning abilities.
Accountability, Integrity, Transparency & Honoring the Public Trust, Collaboration, Innovation, Safety, Excellent Service with Courtesy and Kindness
Job specific competencies:
Community relations, Attention to detail, Computer and Software Proficiency, Time Management, Independence, Adaptability, Communications
Education, formal training and/or experience:
A minimum of two (2) years of formal teaching experience including online teaching required. One-year (1) experience on operating systems, MS Office, Internet browsers, mobile devices, and related software applications required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Proficiency in teaching multiple topics preferred.
English Language Instructor
Fluent in English both verbal and written required.
Spanish Language Instructor
Fluent in Spanish both verbal and written required.
Materials and equipment directly used:
Computer, Chromebook, laptop, projector, and cell phone.
Working environment/physical activities:
Must physically lead and demonstrate the skill and/or activity. The incumbent in this position will be required to work varied hours, including mornings, evenings and weekends. May require pushing, pulling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing, positioning and moving equipment necessary for the activity.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
With over 300 days of sunshine, and just 30 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park in the heart of northern Colorado, Loveland is an ideal community for anyone to call home. Known as the Sweetheart City, this vibrant cultural hub is home to nearly 500 sculptures and public art installations, the world-famous Valentine Remail Program, and picturesque views of the Rocky Mountains. The community is bustling with a thriving arts, brewery, foodie and shopping scene. Enjoy headliner concert and theatre productions, professional hockey events, endless community recreation and open space opportunities, art and sculpture shows, and several local festivals. Loveland also boasts an award-winning golf course and an inclusive library and community center. Loveland, Colorado has EVERYTHING YOU LOVE!
In 2020, Loveland was the only Colorado City to win the Governor’s Award for Downtown Excellence, is the top residential recycling City in the state for 4 consecutive years and has been ranked as one of the top places to live, work and raise a family in the U.S. and as one of the Most Idyllic Picturesque towns in America.
Apply today to join more than 800 employees who work to meet the core values of: Accountability & Integrity, Transparency & Honoring the Public Trust, Collaboration, Innovation, Safety, Excellent Service with Courtesy and Kindness. The City of Loveland is a diverse and welcoming community organization and our employees enjoy a competitive benefits program, various opportunities for growth and development, and an exceptional work-life balance.
A vibrant community, surrounded by natural beauty, where you belong!
Non Benefit Eligible Benefits Package Includes:
- Retirement – 457 employee funded plan
- Medical Leave – Up to 48 hours accrued. Accrue 1 hour of leave per 30 hours worked
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The City of Loveland provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
A criminal history background check will be obtained pre-employment.
Bachelors or better.
Spanish Language Instructor: Fluent in Spanish both verbal and written
English Language Instructor: Fluent in English both verbal and written
One-year (1) experience on operating systems, MS Office, Internet browsers, mobile devices, and related software applications.
2 years: Formal teaching experience including online teaching.
Proficiency in teaching multiple topics.
A City of Loveland application is required for consideration.