The Cranston Public Library is seeking an extraordinary candidate for the position of part-time Youth Services Librarian.
Under the supervision of the Youth Services Coordinator, this position provides Reference, technology help and readers' advisory services to young people and families at the Central Library, and occasionally at branch locations. This is a 15 hour per week part time position with no benefits. Some nights and weekends required. (Tues, Wed 4-8, Friday/Saturday rotation)
$21.00 per hour; 12-15 hours a week
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association (MLS candidates nearing completion of degree are encouraged to apply)
- One year of experience preferred
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides excellent customer service, readers advisory, and reference for young people and families.
- Issues and updates library cards and helps visitors access resources in the library and online.
- Promotes library programs and services by printing flyers and helping people access online resources, including the event calendar, museum passes, Hoopla, Kanopy, and databases.
- Maintains collections through searching for missing items, relabeling materials in special collections, and assisting with weeding and selection.
- Maintains the appearance of the library by curating displays and bulletin boards and occasionally assisting with shelving or moving items.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to outstanding public service.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and public library service to youth, in particular.
- Knowledge of basic computer troubleshooting including hardware and printers.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office applications.
- Knowledge of eReaders and eBooks platforms.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of current technological applications for information access. Ability to utilize web based and subscription databases.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems, preferably Sierra ILS, with knowledge of create lists and statistics functions.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
The Cranston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The Library is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or other protected class status.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Ally Quintanilla, Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com. Applications received by September 23, 2022 will receive first consideration.