Summary of Job Duties
Salary to commensurate with experience.
The salary range for this position is $22.21 - $34.70
The hiring range for this position is $22.21 - $27.77
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora's Library and Cultural Services Department is looking for a Marketing Assistant for Community Relations to support the community outreach efforts and marketing needs for the innovative Aurora Public Library
The Library and Cultural Services Department is composed of two divisions, the Aurora Public Library (Library Services) and Cultural Services, and is in charge of providing city residents with access to arts, culture, education and entertainment in many forms.
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Community events and programs or activities for all ages
- Aurora History Museum and Historic Sites
- Aurora Fox Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- Arts Education
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
Assists in the implementation of marketing and community relations plans for the diverse audiences served by Aurora Public Library under the direction of the community relations manager, in order to increase awareness and use of the library’s offerings. Must have a commitment and passion for the library’s mission.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creates, edits, submits for approval, publishes and disseminates visually compelling and well-written communication and marketing collateral including but not limited to the library’s Explore Guide, reports, brochures, postcards, bookmarks, flyers.
- Supports the execution of digital marketing including e-newsletters, social media and display advertising campaigns.
- Help produce marketing performance reports and library’s annual reports.
- Assists in the administration of the library’s social media accounts. This includes but is not limited to a daily posting schedule, meeting or exceeding reach and engagement measures along with answering comments and messages from the community in a timely manner.
- Assists with the maintenance of the library’s website. This includes but is not limited to consistently updating information and quality control.
- Assists in the creation of print and online campaigns that build the library brand and help drive donations and sponsorships.
- Supports efforts related to donor relations including database management, correspondence and event sponsorships.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism or a directly related field.
- At least 1 year of marketing, public relations/communications experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Experience in libraries, cultural programs or public sector preferred.
The ideal candidates must possess:
- Be a strong writer able to tell stories from different voices.
- Able to effectively communicate orally and written to multiple stakeholders and a diverse audience.
- Be enthusiastic, passionate, flexible and adaptable to changing demands.
- Able to effectively work well in a close-knit team.
- Be a problem solver, possess initiative and a positive attitude.
- Knowledge of promotion and marketing including but not limited to marketing plans, placing advertising and measuring return on investment and key benchmarks for promotion and marketing success.
- Knowledge of personal computers, laptops, related hardware and related software packages including but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of graphic design and printing processes.
- Knowledge of email communication platforms and website maintenance.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, patrons, donors and members of the community.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and to make formal and informal presentations.
- Ability to handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work flex hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving, communications and teamwork skills.
- Skill in ensuring the utmost accuracy and presentation of department and event collateral pieces.
- Strong writer and copy-editing skills, familiar with AP Stylebook is a plus.
- Strong task and time management skills, balancing multiple assignments at once and adhering to deadlines.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computer and related equipment
- Vision to read legal descriptions and review drawings
- Some speech and hearing to maintain communications with other employees and citizens
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment; occasionally works nights and weekend
- Ability to work remotely or in a hybrid setting
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies