The Massachusetts Library System (MLS) is looking to hire a Consultant with a focus on Leadership & Management. This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) exempt position, based out of our Marlborough, MA office. The successful candidate may have the opportunity to telecommute part of the week with approval of their supervisor. This is not a fully remote position. A general Consultant position description is linked to and incorporated into this advertisement. More specific qualifications and responsibilities for this position are detailed below. Partial relocation assistance may be negotiated if the successful candidate currently resides outside of Massachusetts.
MLS is a state-supported non-profit organization that provides a variety of services to our 1,500+ member libraries across Massachusetts, including state-wide materials delivery, mediated interlibrary loan, online resources, consulting, and training. MLS supports all types of member libraries, including academic, public, school, and special libraries. The Consultant position is part of the Consulting & Training Services department. The goal of the Consulting & Training Services department is to help our members accomplish their goals through our sustainable and equitable consulting and training services.
How to Apply
To be considered for this Consultant position, please email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should clearly indicate that you are applying for the “Leadership & Management” Consultant position. Your cover letter should also address your qualifications for this position. The deadline to apply is October 4, 2022 (Tuesday), at 5 pm.
This Consultant will provide learning opportunities and consulting services to MLS member libraries across the Commonwealth on topics primarily related to leadership and management.
What You Will Bring to this Position
In addition to the qualifications listed in the general Consultant position description, the successful candidate should bring the following knowledge, experience, and abilities to this position:
- Master’s degree in library science, public or business administration, non-profit management, educational or organizational leadership, organization development, or other relevant field.
- Experience working as a manager, leader, or supervisor.
- Familiarity with standard training and consulting topics related to leadership and management.
- Knowledge of prevailing leadership and management theories, models, and methodologies.
- Ability to provide engaging and effective instructor-led trainings (which are outcomes focused and activity driven) to adult learners on leadership and management topics.
- Ability to provide consulting services on leadership and management topics.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility as they relate to leadership and management.
In addition, while not required upon hire, we would love to see candidates who are familiar with:
- Leadership and management trends and issues in libraries.
- Prevailing library leadership and management competencies.
- Standard continuous improvement principles and methodologies.
Also, we would love to see candidates who have practical experience working in a library, serving on a library board, or volunteering in a library. The more connection you have to libraries the better.
What You Will Do in this Position
Depending on the day, you could be working out of an MLS office, providing in-person services to staff at a member library, or telecommuting. Regardless of where you are located on any particular day, you will be focused on helping our members accomplish their goals through a variety of activities, such as:
- Providing in-person and online training and consulting services to MLS members on leadership and management topics, and other topics as assigned. Possible topics include:
- Advocacy and stakeholder engagement
- Assessment and evaluation
- Interpersonal communications and dynamics
- Operational excellence
- People management (e.g., engagement, motivation, performance management)
- Project and process management
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Supervisory skills (e.g., change management, critical conversations, teambuilding)
- Workplace culture
- Serving as a subject matter expert for the creation of asynchronous trainings.
- Creating resource guides and other support materials.
- Coordinating learning opportunities with external contractors.
- Teaching one of more topics in the Basic Library Techniques program.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the Leadership & Management team (which is situated within the Consulting & Training Services department) on team projects and activities.
- Serving as a liaison to MLS member libraries in the Greater Boston, Metro West, and/or Southeast areas of the Commonwealth.
If you are an experienced professional with a passion for leadership and management, and a desire to help Massachusetts libraries accomplish their goals, then we want to hear from you!