The Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is hiring an insightful, adaptable, and vibrant Part-Time Cataloging Associate to enhance the patron experience by improving the discoverability of materials. Primary responsibilities will include adding, updating, and maintaining records in the JCPL catalog, both individually and using batch processes. Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119 and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association. Position reports to the Cataloging Services Supervisor.
CATALOGING & RECORD CONTROL:
- Responsible for quality check of vendor supplied records; compares vendor-supplied processing to catalog record and JCPL processing profile.
- Ensures vendor records load and display correctly in the public catalog and performs minor data correction (series title, subject headings) as needed.
- Performs copy cataloging for library materials for which shelf-ready cataloging and processing is not available.
- Refers complex copy cataloging questions to librarians and refer authority clean-up projects to Catalog Librarian.
- Directs materials that need label reprints to proper queue and directs items that pass quality check to proper queue.
- Will prioritize materials for efficient work flow and to meet deadlines and production goals.
- Assists in monitoring work flow through the unit and makes adjustments to improve processes.
- Assists in creating a positive and productive atmosphere in Collections and assists in monitoring vendor performance and tracks and reports vendor performance issues.
- Provides support for special projects and keeps current on library policies and procedures relevant to the unit and library as a whole; keeps current on all cataloging rules and/or procedures.
- Will participate with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives.
Other Duties and responsibilities as assigned
1 year of experience involving cataloging, MARC records and data file transfers preferred
Available to work 20-25 hours per week, M-F.
May be required to work some evenings, some weekends and minor holidays.
Bachelor's Degree Preferred
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.