Summary of Job Duties
The salary for this position is $12.56/ hourly
This is classified as VHNE (Variable Hour Non-Benefit Employee), where the selected candidate will work less than 29 hours per week. This position does not provide medical benefits. This position earns sick leave in accordance with the Healthy Families and Workplace Act.
This is a variable hour non-benefited position to work variable hours, including weekdays, evenings and weekends. This position will work 20 hours/week.
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We are looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to strengthen our team of talented and valued employees. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values.
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community.
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Retirement centers and community events and programs or activities for all ages
- Aurora History Museum
- Aurora Fox Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
Aurora Public Library is seeking energetic individuals to provide the highest level of customer service. This is a part-time, non-benefited position providing library customer service and opening and closing duties in an independent work environment. The individual will also be responsible for conducting basic library materials processing and handling duties.
Locations: Will work primarily at an assigned location, hours may change based on business need. May be required to occasionally to substitute at another Aurora Library location based on staffing needs.
- Tallyn’s Reach Library (23911 E Arapahoe Rd)
Primary hours: The selected candidate will work variable hours, including weekdays, evenings and weekends. Hours are subject to change dependent upon department needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform general library services to library customers in person or by phone
- Assists customers with materials check in, check out and other basic materials processing through computerized systems
- Answers basic customer questions and provides basic computer usage support to customers
- Shelves library materials
- Refers more complex customer needs to higher level library staff
- May work at various locations as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned
An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- High School diploma or GED
- At least 6 months customer service experience
- Library background is a plus
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, email and internet navigation)
- Able to work alone and be reliable in a self-supervised environment.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service for customers and work effectively with fellow employees
- Use general office equipment including computers
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Available to work part-time hours during days, evenings and weekend.
- Ability to have transportation to work at other locations or split shifts among locations when staffing is needed
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software; keyboarding skills.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
- Light physical work requiring ability to lift 30 pounds; frequent lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate office equipment; vision for reading, recording, and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment and computer software
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.