Title: REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
Location: Sheridan Library, 3425 W. Oxford Avenue Denver, CO 80236
Reports to: Manager, Information Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Range: $50,000 - $61,000
Purpose: Serves as a District resource to provide library services and access to information. Identifies and interprets user needs; provides reference, advisory, technology and referral services to Library patrons directly, as well as by telephone; assists patrons with material selection and technology. Serves as an internal training resource and provides mentorship.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
80% PATRON SERVICES:
Offers in person advisory, technology and reference services, conducts Ask-a-Librarian sessions, answers phone hunt group questions, provides computer and technology support to patrons; provides floor coverage as needed. Provides technical/reference support to paraprofessional staff. Teaches computer classes.
10% TRAINING AND MENTORING:
Mentors staff by offering shadowing/consulting opportunities. Develops the knowledge, skill and ability of staff by providing training and mentoring in order expand their ability to serve patrons.
10% PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
Advances the professional knowledge and networking through attending professional conferences and keeping up-to-date with the current professional trends.
Performs other related duties as assigned and requested.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- May participate in district-wide projects and operations, e.g. Summer Reading program, committees and guilds work, etc.
- May provide programming as needed.
- May create computer classes for patrons.
- Master of Library Science, Master of Library and Information Science degree, or similar library degree or ability to obtain degree within six months of hiring.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of library and information science theory, information creation, organization, and delivery as it applies to the Arapahoe Library District.
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work with a remote team and a remote supervisor.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and to work independently under tight deadlines and prioritize various projects and requests.
- Ability to successfully collaborate with a variety of individuals with competing priorities.
- Ability to successfully work with varying demographics.
- Intermediate to advanced technology skills with cloud computing, various operating systems (such as Windows, IOS, Android, etc.) and various performance suites (such as MS Office, iWork, Google Suite, etc.) and an ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly.
- Ability to comfortably present information in a clear and engaging manner in dealing with customers and colleagues one-on-one or in groups, in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience with providing reference, technology and advisory services.
- Spanish language skills
- The essential duties for this position are performed in an indoor office environment.
- Moderate noise (computers, phones, printers and patron interactions).
- Ability to work in confined areas.
- Ability to travel to various facilities as needed.
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings and weekends.
Physical activities required to perform essential duties include:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75-100%of the time.
- Must be able to move around 50-75% of the time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to carry up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to push and pull a cart weighing up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop 25% of the time.
This job description describes the general level of work being performed and is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties or aspects associated with the job, and may be amended anytime based on business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Inclusion and diversity are part of our values at Arapahoe Libraries.
Qualified applicants who represent the diversities of the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.a
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, Long-term Disability Plan, Retirement Plan, Time Off Programs (Holiday, Vacation, Sick)
Established in 1966, the Arapahoe Library District serves more than 200,000 residents living in Arapahoe County. Arapahoe County and other major suburban counties make up the greater metropolitan area surrounding Denver, Colorado. The Arapahoe Library District operates eight branch libraries, including mobile library services, and a library at the County Detention Center, funded by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department. A seven-member Board of Trustees sets the library budget and determines policy.
External Job Ad
APPLY ONLINE at http://arapahoelibraries.applicantpro.com/jobs/ and select the position you are interested in. Click on “Apply Now” and create a login that will allow you to submit interest for any open position. You may also attach a resum