Variety [vah-rahy-i-tee], noun.
- The state of being varied or diversified.
- An entertainment magazine that was formed in 1905 in New York City.
- The spice of life
- The daily reality of the South Routt Library Director's professional life.
Ready for your days to pass quickly, filled with meaningful work? Ready to be a collaborator and decision-maker rather than a cog in a widget-making machine? Being the library director of a rural small library is never dull: one minute you are dancing with toddlers at story time and the next you are crunching numbers for a grant proposal. Variety is built-in to the job responsibilities!
It's time to leave the hum-drum behind. Apply for the Library Director opening at the South Routt Library District, with two branch libraries--one in Oak Creek, and one in Yampa.
Plans, organizes, and directs a comprehensive program for two community
libraries, encompassing care and maintenance of district buildings, equipment, and
facilities. The director develops, administers, supervises, and coordinates the
work of staff, substitutes, and volunteers, performs managerial duties related
to personnel, budget, collection development, programming and public relations
under the policies approved by the South Routt Library District’s board of trustees.
• Supervises the library staff, through appropriate delegation, to create a
• Administers personnel policies and procedures for library employees,
including training, development, scheduling, and evaluation.
• Participates in the recruitment and selection of library personnel.
• Responsible for developing print and non-print collections, including
selection, organization, maintenance, preservation, withdrawal, and
disposal of materials.
• Prepares and presents library budget proposal for approval, and monitors and
approves expenditures from the official operating budget.
• Confers with the District Library Board of Trustees to establish operating policies
and to review the libraries services.
• Develops short-term and long-range goals and plans for collections, services,
and programs in keeping with the library’s mission statement and operating
policies; studies and plans development of library services to meet present
and future community needs including new facilities.
• Participates in planning, organization, and management of technical and
automation services for the library.
• Directs a public relations program to promote and publicize the library’s
collections, services, and programs with the community.
• Maintains knowledge of new developments in the library profession, including
technological advances, through professional organizations, networks, and the
Colorado Library Association.
• Interacts with the appropriate town, county, and school employees for the
maintenance of the library’s building, furnishings, and equipment.
• Responsible for the collection and accounting of fines, fees, and other
• Manages the 501c3 entity in conjunction with the South Routt Friends group.
• Prepares regular narrative and statistical reports for the District Library Board,
State Library annual report, and any other that might be required by towns, Routt
County, and school board.
• Assists in preparing meeting agendas, materials, and participates in the District
Library Board of Trustees meetings.
• Establishes priorities as determined by need.
May also be required to:
• Consult with other libraries, professionals, citizens, and or community
• Prepares grant requests to state, federal agencies, and non-profit foundations, and
administers grant funds upon reward.
• Maintains and inventory of library equipment, furniture, supplies and prepares
specifications for purchase when needed.
• Assists with direct patron services when needed.
• Attends conferences, workshops, meetings, and professional committee
meetings to advance the library.
Required Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Ability to: work independently, to organize work for efficient use of time,
Prepare clear administrative reports, understand and interpret library policies,
procedures, rules, keep records accurately, interact courteously, and
effectively with all they might come intact with during work activities.
• The ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate employees and
• Show a thorough knowledge of the principles, objectives, and practices of library
• Show a thorough knowledge of library resources: print, non-print, and electronic.
• Ability to represent the library at professional and community meetings
and an understanding of public relations procedures.
Additional Info & Requirements
A bachelor’s degree or MLS preferred but not required, 3-5 years of library-related experience will be considered. Knowledge of a wide range of library operations including strong communication and interpersonal skills required. The schedule is flexible but may include some evening and weekend hours.
Also known as “Upper Yampa Valley," South Routt sits between the bustling city of Steamboat Springs (to the north) and Eagle County (to the south). The Flattops – an aptly named mountain range visible from most parts of the valley- offer year-round recreational opportunities. South Routt consists of 4 separate communities as well as a diverse mix large ranches and recreational acreage for hiking, biking, boating, and skiing. Enjoy a slower-paced way of life that endures there today.
Open until filled. Applicants should submit an application and resume, including three (3) professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org