The Digital & Member Services Librarian works under the supervision of the
Assistant Director for Technology Services to support member library use of
SAILS systems in the areas of circulation, reports / analytics, acquisitions, and
digital collections. The team-oriented and customer-friendly individual in this
position will respond quickly and accurately to requests from member libraries,
troubleshoot problems, maintain documentation, and manage the SAILS digital
services collection, primarily Overdrive. This position will also work with SAILS
schools libraries to manage end-of-school-year processes and loading of student
/ faculty records.
Essential Job Functions
● Provide quality and prompt customer service to SAILS member libraries
by providing assistance, answering questions, and consulting on settings
via email, phone and on-site visits.
● Carry out service requests that include, but are not limited to the following:
configure and run statistical reports; make batch updates to items,
patrons, and transactions; update system codes; run inventory reports;
and load student/faculty records.
● Build and maintain a thorough knowledge of circulation, reports, statistics,
and acquisitions in Symphony, BLUECloud Analytics, MobileStaff and
other SirsiDynix services used at SAILS.
● Perform testing on new releases and custom development.
● Help in the development and presentation of training to member library
● Create, update and organize documentation and training materials due to
software upgrades, the addition of new features, or changes in policies
● Manage the SAILS digital collection in Overdrive, serve as liaison to the
SAILS Overdrive Committee, and provide primary support for Overdrive
● Use creativity and independent judgment to troubleshoot problems / find
solutions for member libraries. Refer problems to vendors when
● Represent SAILS at meetings and conferences.
● Keep abreast of local/national standards, emerging technologies, and
trends through reading, webinars, trainings, conference attendance, etc.
● Perform special projects and other duties as required.
● MLS from an ALA accredited program or current enrollment.
● Prior professional experience working in an academic, public or school
library or a library support organization using current integrated library
● Ability to write well-organized, user-friendly, easy-to-follow documentation
and instructional materials.
● Ability to communicate effectively with library staff members with varying
technology skills and experience.
● Proven written and oral communication skills and a strong public service
● Strong service orientation and the ability to work in a collegial manner with
● Ability to be self motivated, to exercise initiative and independent
judgment, to solve problems with minimal assistance, and to prioritize
tasks in a busy support environment.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills.
● Proven ability to work as a member of a team.
● Flexibility in a rapidly changing automated environment.
● Comfortable with Windows, Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and the
● Valid driver’s license.
● Experience with SirsiDynix Symphony Workflows.
● Experience providing end-user support.
● Experience performing circulation or acquisitions services in an academic,
public or school library.
● Experience working with relational databases.
● Familiarity with ordering materials and running reports in Overdrive
● Experience with help desk ticketing software.
● Experience with manipulating data in Excel, Google sheets or other
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
- Regular on-site attendance is required with the option to work remotely up to two days per week. SAILS is currently considering expanding remote work options over the next year.
- Benefits include medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, non-matching 6% contributions to a retirement plan, potential monetary and/or non-monetary bonuses for reaching semi-annual goals, as well as paid holidays, four weeks of vacation, and sick and personal time.
SAILS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving multi-type libraries with a mission to provide resource sharing, direct and equal access and to meet every patron’s needs through cooperation, leadership and technology. We run the Enterprise online catalog and library management systems for 70 libraries and branches throughout 39 communities in Southeastern Massachusetts.
We also offer PC support & consultation services, group purchasing, staff training, and email services to member libraries. SAILS is based in Lakeville, MA.
External Job Ad
To apply, fill out this form and attach a PDF containing a cover letter and resume.