Summary of Job Duties
Salary to commensurate with experience.
Salary range for this position is $54,601 - $85,314/annually
The hiring range for this position is $54,601 - $68,251/annually
This posting is set to close December 16th at 5PM.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community. Please go to www.auroralibrary.org to learn more about the Aurora Public Library.
Library Services Summary
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Printing, faxing and scanning services
- Community events, programs, and activities for all ages
OVERVIEW OF POSITION / DEPARTMENT
This is your chance to create a positive impact in the lives of many through public library service! Aurora Public Library is looking for a dynamic person to join the Community Relations team as the lead for library programming and events.
The Library Supervisor – Programming is a self-motivated leader who creatively provides inspiration and coordination to system-wide programming including programs such as Aurora Scholars, a brand-new Bookmobile, reading challenges, author visits, exhibits and more. In addition to supervisory duties to the programing team, this supervisor also works closely with library branch supervisors to ensure there is leverage and collaboration with programs at the branch level. As part of the Community Relations team, this position also contributes to marketing efforts and initiatives. Must have a commitment and passion for the library’s mission.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Functions as the lead system-wide programmer and is responsible for providing leadership, managing programming staff, including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures.
- Working with staff to create and implement goals that support the library’s Annual Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Creating staffing schedules and plans.
- Reviewing and analyzing data to reach library output goals, accountable for achieving location’s key results.
- Providing and implementing current policy and procedure, as well as recommendations for future changes.
- Planning, implementing, and overseeing programming for all ages at library-system level.
- Providing daily help to patrons and responding to difficult and complex customer service issues.
- Administering and tracking budgets and expenditures.
- The primary focus for this position is programming and outreach, the secondary focus is daily operations management and staff supervision.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields or Master’s degree in library science
- At least three (3) years of programming experience (library setting ideal but not mandatory)
- At least two (2) years of lead or supervisory experience
- Knowledge of public library programs development, implementation and evaluation
- Background on large event coordination including fundraising events
- Strong interpersonal and managerial skills
- Flexibility and desire to accomplish system-wide goals and objectives
- Skills in effective decision making
- Innovative approach
- Enthusiastic about change and able to communicate that enthusiasm to staff
- Problem solving skills
- Skill in the use of windows-based programs
- Strong customer service skills
- Skill in checking information for accuracy and completeness and correcting errors
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, all levels of management including executive staff, citizens, and elected officials
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Exercise good judgement in difficult and/or tense situations
- Communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally, appropriate manner
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Direct and effectively supervise a diverse workforce
- Administer budgets
- Creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light physical work that involves moving no more than 20 pounds at a time
- Frequent lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Occasional driving of city vehicles such as cargo vans or Bookmobile (no special license required)
- May require frequent pushing, pulling, bending and stooping
- Clear vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard, carts and moveable shelving
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with a designated office and shared workstations and equipment.
- This job is best suited for someone who likes to work on multiple tasks and projects at once due to working in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of competing interests.
- Occasionally works nights and weekends.
- Works primarily indoors but may work outdoors assisting with a program or outreach events in varying weather conditions.
- Uses standard office equipment including personal computer and common office software such as email, internet, Word, Excel and menu driven databases as a part of the Library automated systems
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.