Summary: The Library Assistant performs a variety of customer services including actively assisting customers discover and use library materials and resources. Maintains a safe, welcoming and accessible library space for customers of all ages, cultures, backgrounds, abilities and identities. Provides customer assistance with computers, printing, digital resources, digital devices and other information technology. Provides information assistance and readers’ advisory to customers. Arranges and maintains promotional displays of books and other materials. May provide public programming and/or programming support. Participates in Library District projects and teams as appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Creates a welcoming environment for all patrons and staff that fosters equity, diversity and inclusion by seeking to understand, respect, and value individual differences.
- Provides pro-active, courteous, efficient service to library customers. Greets and acknowledges customers and provides assistance as needed.
- Demonstrates respect and integrity in all customer interactions.
- Helps to maintain safety, security and healthy environments in the library. Responds to facility hazards and emergencies according to protocols.
- Assists customers with information seeking, navigation of collections and other information resources including digital resources.
- Provides customer assistance with computer use and digital technologies including tablets, printers, scanners and projectors.
- Provides assistance with digital file management including opening, saving, uploading and downloading files.
- Provides readers’ advisory to customers of all reading levels and interests.
- Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties in order to greet and proactively assist customers.
- Creates and manages relevant and attractive displays of library materials.
- Participates in training and continuing education as needed.
- May plan and implement story times for young children and / or other public programs for all ages and interests.
- May participate in library teams, committees and other project-based groups.
- Maintains tidiness in public spaces and within collections.
- May oversee and direct the work of volunteers.
- Shelves library materials as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a diverse population, co-workers and supervisor.
- Excellent customer service and skills including approachability, listening, efficient and appropriate response, accuracy and follow-up.
- Ability to tactfully manage and resolve customer complaints.
- Ability to manage and de-escalate intense or emergency situations involving customers.
- Ability to use a variety of digital technologies and applications including PCs, Internet, email, file management digital resources and digital applications.
- Ability to operate and perform basic troubleshooting of digital tools including PCs, tablets, smartphones, keyboards, scanners, printers, projectors and connecting cables.
- Ability to provide clear guidance and appropriate help to customers with technology-based questions and needs.
- Knowledge of developmental stages of children and teens preferred.
- Experience working with children and teens preferred.
- Knowledge of diverse cultures, languages, histories and customs; experience working with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Knowledge of contemporary books, authors, media and information sources preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and duties simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Additional Info & Requirements
Ability to read and speak English fluently is required. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable. Fluency in a language other than English, including American Sign Language is desirable.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as emails, procedures, graphics and informational articles required. Ability to write email correspondence and routine reports required. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
Work primarily in a public library environment and sometimes in community settings.
- The demands on the visual sense are very high.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
- Occasionally push moveable carts weighing up to 250 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines.
- Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- Work a varied schedule at various locations, including weekends and evenings.
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
Human Resources / Job Listings