We are seeking dynamic, customer-focused Patron Experience Associate Substitutes to provide frontline library service to the diverse and growing residents of Jefferson County and beyond. Helping people find the information they need – whether it be what to read next, how to download an e-book or how to find a job – is what we do all day, every day. If you're passionate about providing outstanding customer service, serving your community, and are ready to contribute to the Library's success, then this may be the job for you!
Substitutes support daily service delivery to library patrons in the absence of location Librarians and Associates. Substitutes are on-call, non-benefitted, temporary staff who may work at any of JCPL's ten locations, the Call Center or the Bookmobile (Library To You) up to a maximum of 25 hours per week. Schedules may be arranged in advance or for last minute needs. Shifts may include days, evenings, weekends, or holidays. Substitutes can accept or decline shift coverage around their schedule and the proposed location. Working as a Patron Experience Substitute can be a great opportunity to gain Library Experience to allow candidates to move into permanent, full-time positions.
The starting pay for substitutes is $16/hour.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Provides information, referrals and reader’s advisory assistance to patrons in person, by phone, mail and via electronic means. Locates materials using manual and electronic databases in JCPL, other Library systems and/or other sources. Refers patrons to community resources and other appropriate resources for further information as necessary. Advises patrons about on-line searching. Uses high-level customer service skills to determine patron needs. Creates a positive inviting atmosphere for all patrons. Addresses and resolves complaints from patrons or forwards to appropriate staff as necessary. Promotes and presents programs, classes, workshops both in the Library and off site. Advises and instructs Library patrons in using equipment necessary to access Library resources. May present programming training or classes to the public, both on or off site. Provides quality programs presented in their area of specialty, including off-site locations. Conducts Library tours and community outreach.
- CORE LIBRARY SERVICES: Participates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives. Under supervision, assists in the development and maintenance of instructional tools, databases and reader’s advisory materials. Routinely provides direct customer service. Assists with evaluating and maintaining the existing collection through recommendations and weeding of materials. Suggests program needs.
- OPERATIONAL ORGANIZATION: Participates in the responsibility for the general appearance and safety of the division and Library as a whole. Assists with collection development and maintenance. Ensures access to all materials both physical and virtual. May create content for the web or social media. Participates in the design and creation of displays, bulletin boards, signs, posters, informational/directional aids and special exhibits. Keeps current on Library policies and procedures relevant to the location and/or Library as a whole. Monitors adherence to policies and procedures and/or communicates policies to patrons as necessary. Stays current on new trends and technologies. May collect, tabulate, maintain data and prepare standardized reports.
- OVERSIGHT: May assist in coordinating the work and schedules of ancillary staff and volunteers. May assume responsibility for the operation of the Library in absence of the Public Services Manager and/or Person in Charge. Takes appropriate action for disturbances and other emergencies.
- Bilingual roles provide Cuentacuentos, story times in Spanish.
- Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position. The above statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. JCPL retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential and additional functions of the job at any time without notice.
- Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
This is a non-benefitted position.
Starting pay for Patron Experience Substitutes is $16/hr.
Employees in this position may work between 4 and 25 hours per week flexible around their schedule depending on when they choose to pick up assignments.
We encourage current students aspiring to careers in Library Sciences to consider this position for relevant work experience.
- Preferred - 1 year of customer service experience.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.