Are you passionate about serving diverse suburban and rural library communities?
Are you excited about partnering with local schools to support students of all ages with their library needs?
Do you strive for equity while providing outstanding and personalized service?
Do you thrive in an environment with lots of change?
Are you the type of leader who supports your staff by developing their growth?
If so, this position may be for you!
This library manager position oversees three diverse communities in the Arapahoe Libraries service area. The Smoky Hill Library is a vibrant and busy community hub serving a diverse community that includes young families, students and new immigrants. The Kelver Library, our most recently built library, serves the rural community of Byers, including the students in the Byers school district. The Davies library is located furthest east in our district and serves the Deer Trail community and the students in the Deer Trail school district.
Qualified individuals with a completed library degree or ten years library experience and committed to completing a degree within two years of hire are encouraged to apply.
Title: Library Manager
Location: Smoky Hill Library, 5430 S. Biscay Circle, Centennial, CO 80015
Reports to: Director of Library Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Rate: $69,600 - $92,800, based on experience and education
Purpose: Manages the operations of multiple libraries. Leads and supports strategic initiatives and operational projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
35% SERVICE MANAGEMENT
- Sets standards and goals for the operation of all areas of oversight.
- Develops concepts, practices, techniques and innovations to improve the quality of service, evaluates operating processes for greater efficiency and effectiveness.
- Communicates effectively and facilitates problem solving in order to manage the service operations of the areas of oversight.
- Actively engage with community members and organizations to effectively evaluate and promote library services and recommend and implement service changes.
30% PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Leads and supports district projects, including setting goals for district project(s), establishing implementation team (s) and timelines for completion.
- Collaborates effectively with department managers to achieve desired outputs and outcomes for the organization.
25% SUPERVISION AND LEADERSHIP
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains new department staffand supports supervisors with the hiring process.
- Oversees and manages the priorities and work activities of library/department(s).
- Monitor and develop employee performance, including delivering recognition and constructive and timely evaluations.
- Recommends salary increases, promotion, transfers or terminations
- Handles discipline and terminations in accordance with practice
- Provides active coaching and mentoring,
- Performs the duties of Supervisors in their absence to ensure the proper functioning of the organizational unit.
- Responsible for hiring the best and brightest candidates for all positions in the organizational unit.
- Leads by example.
- Provides ongoing communication and solicits regular input and feedback from direct and indirect staff.
- Works on collaboration and team building for direct and indirect teams
- Demonstrates enthusiastic leadership and support for change implementation
- On-call in crisis situations
- Advances professional knowledge through ongoing learning and development
10% RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Supports and participates in the annual strategic planning and budget process.
- Arranges for budget, staff and other needs in order to provide the necessary resources to accomplish the work of the library/department(s).
- Manages an annual operating budget of approximately $4 million, and capital projects ranging from $50,000-$5,000,000.
Performs other related duties as assigned and requested
- Minimum of five years of supervising or managing in a library setting, or customer service industry setting.
- MLS or MLIS degree, or 10 years library services experience or ability to obtain an MLIS/MLS within two years of hire.
- Ability to keep confidential information.
- Ability to travel between facilities.
- Ability to work varying shifts, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and show initiative.
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks.
- Intermediate technology skills for Windows, Word and Outlook and familiarity with Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with patrons, co-workers and employees.
- Ability to demonstrate effective leadership skills, including motivating and influencing others, practical thinking, problem solving, adaptability, coaching, mentoring and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate new ideas, products and services in a positive and engaging manner.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for an environment of constant change.
- Ability to work with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Two years of project management experience.
- Two years of budget management experience.
- Experience teaching, training or mentoring others.
The essential duties for this position are performed in an indoor office environment.
Moderate noise (computers, phones, printers and patron interactions).
Physical activities required to perform essential duties include:
Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50-75%of the time.
Must be able to move around 25-50% of the time.
This job description describes the general level of work being performed and is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties or aspects associated with the job, and may be amended anytime based on business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Inclusion and diversity are part of our values at Arapahoe Libraries. Qualified applicants who represent the diversities of the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, Parental Leave, Retirement Plan, Time Off Programs (Vacation, Sick, Holidays)
Established in 1966, the Arapahoe Library District serves more than 200,000 residents living in Arapahoe County. Arapahoe County and other major suburban counties make up the greater metropolitan area surrounding Denver, Colorado. The Arapahoe Library District operates eight branch libraries, including mobile library services, and a library at the County Detention Center, funded by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department. A seven-member Board of Trustees sets the library budget and determines policy.
External Job Ad
APPLY ONLINE at http://arapahoelibraries.applicantpro.com/jobs/ and select the position you are interested in. Click on “Apply Now” and create a login that will allow you to submit interest for any open position. You may also attach a resum