TEEN SERVICES BRANCH LIBRARIAN
Reports to: Supervisor of Youth and Teen Services
FLSA Status : Full-time, exempt position. Ability to work evenings and weekends, required.
Pay Rate: $53,700 - $67,100
Purpose: To help fulfill Arapahoe Libraries' mission by offering localized in-branch services for teen patrons ages 12-18, as well as their caregivers and educators. Focused on building relationships with local teens through direct public services inside the library, this is a collaborative position that will work with a variety of people and entities with competing priorities to best reach the teens in our communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
30% IN-BRANCH TEEN SERVICES -
- Identifies community needs at the branch level and focuses on relationship building and customer service to teenagers, as well as their caregivers and educators, and cultivates participation and ownership of library services and programming by teens.
- Provides teen patrons with a wide spectrum of advisory services, reference assistance, and technology help through floor coverage, over the phone, and via email or chat, and interacts with teens in groups and one-on-one.
- Offers educator support via curriculum assistance, facility tours, and other reference work.
- Provides mentoring to teen patrons, teen volunteers, and other staff through formal and informal means to improve ongoing staff and teen relationships and works alongside other staff to maintain a safe and welcoming teen space.
- Assists and promotes diversity, inclusion, and equity initiatives.
- Creates web content for Arapahoe Libraries' website.
30% LOCALIZED TEEN PROGRAMMING -
- Designs, implements, and evaluates library programs for teens with an emphasis on those that relate to teen trends, makerspaces, and STEAM based programming. Programs can include ongoing, drop-in, one-off, and self-directed programs.
- Works with teens with diverse backgrounds and abilities to tailor programming and other services to local community interest.
- Facilitates the Teen Advisory Board at assigned branch and supports teen volunteer initiatives.
- Develops and conducts advisory based services specifically for teens including targeted readers' advisory initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with other staff and departments to deliver larger events at assigned branch.
20% TEEN SERVICES OUTREACH LIBRARIAN SUPPORT -
- Participates in outreach at the nearest middle and high schools to assigned branch.
- Co-facilitates district-wide initiatives like contests and teen internships.
- Assists with outreach to other organizations as needed.
10% STRATEGIC PLANNING AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT -
- Researches and keeps up with new trends in teen services, including teen programming and middle grade and young adult literature, to assist with decision-making.
- Compiles data on the needs of teens, educators, and caregivers and evaluates the results.
- Makes recommendations for new initiatives or solutions to challenges.
- Anticipates challenges due to seasonal workflow, emerging technology and evolving community dynamics, and helps set priorities for adapting to systemic change.
- Advances professional knowledge and networking through attending and presenting at professional conferences and seeking out opportunities to share subject matter expertise.
10% TRAINING AND MENTORING -
- Acts as a subject matter expert in advisory resources for young adults including books, media, databases, etc.
- Develops and presents trainings to improve the knowledge, skill, and ability of library staff.
- Provides mentoring to staff through meetings, one-on-one conversations, and other opportunities to ensure reinforcement of the skills needed to serve teens.
- Displays enthusiasm for working with, relating to, and guiding teenagers ages 12-18 and a passion for the work of teen services
Performs other related duties as assigned and requested
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- May participate in projects and operations not directly related to specialty, e.g. Summer Reading program, district-wide projects, committee work, etc.
- Two years of experience related to Teen Services such as training, practice or internships - library, publishing house or bookstore experience specific to Young Adult literature - experience in community work with teenagers - and/or previous work with teen volunteers
- MLS / MLIS degree or comparable master's degree.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of library and information science theory, information creation, organization, and delivery
- Ability to demonstrate and apply knowledge and understanding of current Young Adult and Middle Grade literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, websites, and electronic media
- Ability to demonstrate and apply knowledge and understanding of theories of adolescent development and its implications for library work
- Advanced technology skills with cloud computing (such as Office 365), various operating systems (such as Windows, IOS, Android, etc.) and various performance suites (such as Microsoft Office, Google Suite, etc.) and ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly
- Ability to work with a remote team and a remote supervisor
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and to work independently under tight deadlines while prioritizing varied projects and requests and shifting focus at need
- Ability to successfully collaborate with a variety of individuals and entities with competing priorities
- Experience planning, developing, and implementing team projects
- Experience with developing and conducting teen-oriented programs and services
- Experience with culturally diverse populations and youth from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds
- Knowledge of sewing tools including hand stitching and machines
- Experience with public speaking and ability to present information in a clear and engaging manner in dealing with patrons and colleagues one-on-one or in groups, in both formal and informal settings
- Language preference for Arabic, Spanish, or Russian
The essential duties for this position are performed in an indoor office environment
- Ability to travel to other work/library locations and facilities as needed
- Ability to work varying shifts, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends
- Moderate noise (computers, phones, printers, and conversations)
- Ability to occasionally work in confined areas
Physical activities required to perform essential duties include:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50-75%of the time.
- Must be able to move around 50-75% of the time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
- Ability to carry up to 20 lbs
- Ability to push and pull a cart weighing up to 40 lbs
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop 25% of the time.
This job description describes the general level of work being performed and is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties or aspects associated with the job, and may be amended anytime based on business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Inclusion and diversity are part of our values at Arapahoe Libraries. Qualified applicants who represent the diversities of the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Long-term Disability, Retirement Plan, Time off program (Vacation, Sick, Holiday)
Established in 1966, the Arapahoe Library District serves more than 200,000 residents living in Arapahoe County. Arapahoe County and other major suburban counties make up the greater metropolitan area surrounding Denver, Colorado. The Arapahoe Library District operates eight branch libraries, including mobile library services, and a library at the County Detention Center, funded by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department. A seven-member Board of Trustees sets the library budget and determines policy.
APPLY ONLINE at http://arapahoelibraries.applicantpro.com/jobs/ and select the position you are interested in. Click on “Apply Now” and create a login that will allow you to submit interest for any open position. You may also attach a resum