Job Title: Security Specialist
Reports To: Security Supervisor
Location: Old Town Library, Other locations as needed
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Classification: Classified, full-time (40 hours per week)
Benefits Eligibility: Classified Benefits Summary
Pay Rate: $19.76 - $24.71 per hour
Revision Date: 01-2023
Summary: Under supervision of the Security Supervisor and daily direction from the Library Branch Manager, support’s the Library’s mission by ensuring the safety of customers and staff as well as compliance with the District’s policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Creates a safe and welcoming environment for all Library and Library park users.
· Greets Library and Library Park users with courtesy and respect.
· Provides excellent customer service by responding to directional inquiries, and referring library service questions to appropriate staff.
· Conducts routine patrols during hours of operation including inside the library, perimeter of the buildings and throughout Library Park and Webster House.
· Helps manage incidents in the library and park that do not require police assistance.
· Assists with opening and closing, making sure the building is cleared and secured.
· Enforces customer and staff compliance with general safety and security policies and procedures; responsible for in-depth knowledge and implementation of the DERP (Disaster and Emergency Response Plan).
· Responds to and investigates disturbances on library property; escorts customers who are not following policies and procedures out of the library.
· Writes clear and detailed incident reports.
· Maintains customer and staff confidentiality within local, state, and federal requirements.
· Maintains current safety training and certification, including but not limited to CPR, AED, Narcan training, etc.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Knowledge of the Poudre River Public Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them
· Knowledge of standard security practices and procedures
· Knowledge of basic first aid and proper use of an AED
· Experience working with a diverse population
· Experience de-escalating conflicts and potential conflicts
· Ability to use and operate computer software, including MS Office, email, security camera and patron incident tracking
· Ability to remain calm and exercise sound judgement when making quick decisions in emergency situations
· Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision
· Ability to work as part of a team
High School or GED required, along with at least two years of related experience. Must be at least 21 years of age. Possession of a valid CO driver’s license preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret policies, procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, email correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, managers, customers, and the general public. Fluency in Spanish or other language is a plus.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Certificates and Licenses:
Safety – CPR, AED, Narcan, or ability to become certified upon employment.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
· Work primarily in a library environment and sometimes in community settings.
· Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
· Occasionally reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
· Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
· Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
· Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
· Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, copy and fax machines.
· Moderate to loud noise levels.
· Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
Apply online at https://www.poudrelibraries.org/jobs
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. Apply online.