The Events and Hospitality (E&H) Supervisor works to continuously improve event quality and capacity at Douglas County Libraries (DCL) by overseeing critical E&H frontline staff. This role focuses on strategies to engage and retain E&H team members with an emphasis on recruiting, hiring, onboarding, training, scheduling, and event support. This role works as an effective member of the Community Engagement team, and on cross-departmental teams in cooperation with other staff. The role requires leadership skills and a talent for building effective teams, considerable systems thinking, and an excellent attention to detail. The role assists the department manager with creating and executing strategic work plans based on overall library district strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
30% Administrative/Team Operations:
- Leads team in special projects and coordinates areas of their responsibilities.
- Communicates using excellent verbal and written skills to facilitate transparent flow of information to internal and external customers.
- Identifies complex problems and evaluates options to resolve problems and remediate conflict.
- Maintains databases, filing system and organizational calendar. Documents processes and recommends improvements.
- Provides excellent, responsive customer service to community customers via telephone and through the online reservation process, collecting accurate information, telephone inquiries, written correspondence, and drafting event contracts. Acts and responds in a consistent, timely manner with every customer.
- Schedules appropriate staffing to assist with daily branch use of civic spaces including on-site room reservations, site/branch calendar maintenance, and communication regarding daily hosted events.
- Maintains expert knowledge and use of computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Apple and PCs. Proficient in software systems including room-floorplan, room-reservation, event assignment, customer/contract/proposal system, and other industry-related software.
- Ability to learn new technology that is introduced in the industry and the organization, as needed.
- Stays abreast of branch and district updates by reading emails, meeting minutes or designated message boards.
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains new department staff.
- Recommends promotions, transfers, or terminations.
- Handles discipline and terminations in accordance with organizational human resources practices.
- On call in crisis situations.
- Ensures that team consumes, understands, and effectively utilizes organizational communication.
- Provides direction, support, feedback, and leadership to direct reports.
- Ensures team brand compliance and excellent internal and external customer service in interactions with customers and staff.
- Ensures that team aligns with organizational goals and values.
- Promptly approves timecards and time off requests.
- Creates, publishes, and maintains E&H staff schedule
- Assists Event and Hospitality Manager in making informed staffing decisions based on scheduling needs.
- Engages in the DCL performance feedback system, provides frequent feedback and support to individual team members to align work and behaviors with DCL brand, values and priorities, maintains documentation in Paylocity, develops and retains high quality employees.
- Performs the role and responsibilities of the manager in a backup or supportive role as needed.
- Serves as a member of the library leadership team and as a leader for DCL to advance event services in Douglas County.
- Leads with enthusiasm and excitement for providing a premium customer experience and creating a vibrant library.
- Actively participates at DCL Library Leadership meetings. Works collaboratively with leadership team to make continual progress toward realizing the district’s strategies and improving the quality of library events.
- Proactively handles change management initiatives and works cooperatively with the E&H Manager and library leadership to communicate and implement DCL strategies and goals. Provides clarification to subordinates to achieve standards set forth by manager.
- Works as part of a team to implement projects in accordance with set timelines. Provides clarification to subordinates so implementation achieves standards set forth by manager.
- Collaborates effectively to achieve desired outputs and outcomes for the organization.
- Ensures excellent customer service at the library, and works to ensure service is premium and consistent throughout district.
- Provides clear communications with subordinates and management to ensure strategic and tactical messages are understood.
- Plans and facilitates staff meetings. Attends meetings and participates in committees and task forces as assigned.
- Ensures E&H team understands and adheres to DCL policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates strong communication, organizational, time management and strategic thinking skills. Maintains a positive growth mind-set.
- Implements departmental procedures and services to support DCL policies, identified risk mitigation, and DCL brand, values, and priorities.
- Represents DCL externally as job requires and works at signature events.
- Promotes positive and productive workplace cultures. Maintains effective working relationships with DCL staff.
- Takes ownership of the customer experience by consistently making connections and building relationships, offering premium and personalized service, and seeking shared solutions with both internal and external customers.
15% Event Support:
- Coaches E&H staff to effectively serve as event liaisons, coordinating event logistics before, during, and after event. Understands and anticipates customer needs.
- Serves as a second line of support when E&H staff need additional leadership or guidance in resolving event or customer service issues.
- Assists with internal promotions of event and communication messages and overall planning timeline management.
- Develops a familiarity with each DCL branch, anticipating and remediating idiosyncrasies of each building, room and space, including elevator systems, lock systems, door entries, parking, and floor plans. Takes ownership of safety and security at each DCL Branch outside normal business hours.
- Understands multiple tiers of services available for clients and events.
- Creates positive experiences for customers by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
Performs other duties as requested or assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years’ experience in the hospitality industry, preferably in a leadership role
- One year supervisory experience
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License, good driving record and a reliable vehicle to travel to a variety of Douglas County locations
- Experience with facility rentals software such as HoneyBook and Cvent (Social Tables)
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP)
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have a reliable method of transportation between all DCL locations. Vision is 20/40 or better in either eye with or without corrective lenses, and total combined horizontal field of vision, with both eyes, of at least 120 degrees. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events