BiblioTemps® is an employment service of the Massachusetts Library System that provides experienced library workers for temporary placements in public, academic, and special libraries throughout Massachusetts.
Title: Neighborhood and Adult Literacy Manager
Location: Springfield City Library – Read/Write/Now
Start date: As soon as possible
End date: April 28, 2023
Schedule: 20 hours per week
Monday – Thursday, 1 – 6pm (negotiable)
Pay Rate: $34.32 per hour
Responsible for the implementation and oversight of adult literacy and basic education programs at Read/Write/Now, the adult basic education program of the Springfield City Library.
Responsible for administrative and professional work in the management of personnel, services, and operations of adult literacy programs. Work is performed with professional independent administrative judgment in accordance with the policies and objectives of the Library Department, with review by the Library Director through reports and conferences. Supervision is exercised over other employees as assigned.
- Devises strategy, plans, develops, and implements adult literacy and basic education programs and projects; works with teaching staff to select and develop new literacy programs to meet evolving community needs and goals.
- Oversees curriculum development to ensure compatibility with state and other accepted standards for adult basic education.
- Oversees the recruitment, interviewing, referral, placement, and assessment of adult learners.
- Evaluates the services, programs, methods and practices used in the adult literacy program; determines adequacy; modifies or adapts services to meet new or unusual patron requirements within the limits of established policy; and prepares and submits appropriate reports to the Library Director.
- Trains, directs, assigns, and checks the work of subordinates on organization policies and procedures, methods and practices, standards of performance, and other matters affecting their work.
- Supervises adult education teachers and oversees the use of volunteers.
- Maintains good personnel relations and consults with Director’s Office staff regarding personnel or other matters affecting team members.
- Represents Library within the community to various agencies, businesses, adult education coalitions, and citywide groups.
- Coordinates adult literacy program's collaborative relationships with other community services for planning, awareness, and referral purposes.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the adult education field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to plan, assign, coordinate and supervise the work of a department.
- Ability to assemble, develop, evaluate, and analyze data in special administrative areas and to make recommendations affecting policies and procedures based on this work.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise and review the work of subordinates.
- Ability to make independent work decisions in accordance with governing policy, law, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with administrative officials, team members, and the general public.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree plus completion of a Master’s degree in Library Science and/or a Master’s degree in Education.
- Minimum of five years library or education experience, or a combination of the two, with some experience in supervision or management.
- Requires advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, such as Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Work is mostly performed in an office/classroom environment. Regular and punctual attendance is a requirement. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Submit resume via our job board - https://www.bibliotemps.com/jobs
Contact with questions – email@example.com