Wage: $1,980.80 - $2,377.60 Biweekly
Job Type: Full-Time
Closing Date: 2/27/2023 or until filled
Evening and weekend availability is required. Locations may vary and be updated if additional vacancies become available.
Purpose: The Customer Experience Librarian plans, coordinates and implements library services offered at Douglas County Libraries (DCL). This role has a clear understanding of principles and practices related to public library work, with a chief emphasis on delivery of outstanding service to library customers. This role works as an effective member of the Customer Experience team and on cross-departmental teams in collaboration with other library staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
60% Library Services:
- Takes ownership of the customer experience by embracing innovation and experimentation, seeking out new technologies, looking for new ways to create connections with the community inside and outside of the library, and creating a sense of discovery and magic in the branch.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of professional library principles, including but not limited to: public reference service expertise, technology assistance, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates expertise and leads readers’ advisory services to assist customers with identifying materials appropriate for diverse ages, interests, reading abilities, learning styles, and special needs requirements.
- Assists customers in using reference tools, conducting in-depth research, locating materials and managing accounts. Instructs customers on the use of resources across formats and platforms.
- Anticipates trends that will impact libraries, literacy, publishing, and information technology.
- Leads merchandising and hand-selling of library materials.
- Implements creative ideas and services intended to encourage discovery and interaction with the library.
- Serves as Person-In-Charge on a regular basis by offering leadership and direction to ensure branch operations and safety.
- Takes ownership of the customer experience by consistently making connections and building relationships, offering premium and personalized service, and seeking shared solutions with both internal and external customers.
30% Organizational Impact:
- Recommends thoughtful change to help DCL stay relevant and vital.
- Works interdepartmentally to create, promote and implement library outreach, events, and services.
- Identifies training needs and opportunities and collaborates with the Learning & Development department to address.
- Extends professional courtesy to other team members, understands organizational objectives, and the essential nature of every role at DCL.
- Stimulates collaborative, seamless relationships with co-workers and branch staff, thereby contributing to a cohesive organization that supports a positive culture to achieve strategic plans.
10% Technical Performance:
- Demonstrates an expert knowledge of the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association.
- Learns new software packages quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Provides technical support and troubleshooting to customers.
- Stays current on DCL emails, meetings, trainings, processes, procedures and technologies required to perform work duties.
- Engages in the DCL performance feedback system and completes the expectations outlined by your supervisor and department/division.
Performs other duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or related field.
- Three or more years’ professional experience, preferably in a public library.
- Fluency in MS Office, and other industry related software
- A Master of Library Science
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have a reliable method of transportation between all DCL locations. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org
Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change