JEFFERSON COUNTY PULBIC LIBRARY is looking to hire our next leader to advance our mission, vision, values and strategic priorities as the Director of Communications and Engagement! Are you a collaborator? Do you have a strength in building and leading teams? Are you at the leading edge of new trends in communications? Your expertise will be in directing the development of brand solutions, managing senior level staff and their reports, community relations, integrated internal and external communications, marketing and demand generation, and creating meaningful opportunities for fuller engagement of staff and our community in the Library. As the Library’s media spokesperson, you will be managing media inquiries, crisis communications, and responding to Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) requests. If you are a skilled communicator with a penchant for innovation and a love of serving the public, this may be the career for you!
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES:
The statements below are intended to describe the more specific nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change.
COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING:
- Directs and oversees the creation and delivery of the Library’s internal and external communications and marketing solutions through multiple channels.
- Creates approaches to effectively communicate the breadth and depth of services and resources that are available.
- Conducts relevant market research, monitors trends, and analyzes the impact and ROI of all marketing communications and programs, both internal and external.
- Ensures work is aligned with patron success metrics.
- Directs and oversees JCPL’s Stakeholder Engagement and Graphics Design and Production in the specific job duties of communications, promotions, marketing, as well as the social networking presence and social networking policies.
- Directs graphics, content marketing, and social media to produce messaging and narratives that work across multiple channels and engage targeted audiences.
- Directs and facilitates the delivery of key strategic communications, such as thought leadership content, special projects, board meetings, community meetings, talking points, presentations, and other relevant communications for internal and external audiences.
- Identifies opportunities to position JCPL with key constituencies.
- Develops and delivers reports and presentations as needed.
- Proactively plans for and manages crisis communications.
- Develops and leads initiatives to advance the relevance, resonance, and distinctiveness of the JCPL brand by leveraging modern branding practices that measurably grow and deepen Jefferson County Residents’ perceptions and understanding of JCPL’s values.
- Directs and oversees Stakeholder Engagement and Graphics Design and Production to ensure brand tone of voice, verbal identity, and visual creation across all internal and external touch points.
- Works cross-functionally with other divisions to align the organization’s internal culture with its external reputation.
- Works collaboratively with internal stakeholders to develop consistent processes and tools to build out the brand.
- Oversees the collection of key division-specific metrics to ensure accuracy for decision-making and inclusion in organizational reporting.
- Establishes and executes effective community relations strategies that support and further the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains strong relationships and alliances with government, education, corporate, and non-profit entities in an effort to make JCPL a key partner in the civic life of Jefferson County residents.
- Directs and facilitates the establishment and maintenance of relationships with local, national media and press outlets.
- Consults with members of the Library’s leadership and staff to plan, design, implement, and evaluate strategic partnerships and participate in community building initiatives.
- Ensures coordinated and timely flow of information and communication to key constituencies.
- Represents JCPL and makes decisions on the release of information in compliance with laws governing patron confidentiality.
- Directs the organization’s strategic fundraising efforts for capital by designing, implementing, evaluating, and refining the Library’s development activities, with an emphasis on grant-writing and major gifts exceeding $25,000.
- Works in partnership to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors and prospects in accordance with performance targets set in collaboration with the Jefferson County Library Foundation (JCLF).
- Fosters collaborative relationships with development colleagues and constituents by coordinating joint solicitation efforts, developing internal processes and procedures, and aligning marketing and outreach efforts for multiple development programs and initiatives within the Library.
SUPERVISION & MANAGEMENT:
- Hires, assigns, trains, directs and supervises the division staff as well as temporary staff, volunteers and interns in area of responsibility.
- Coaches on industry best practices.
- Administers or makes recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting direct reports including recruitment, orientation, training, setting performance goals, assigning and reviewing work, approving time cards, approving leave, appraising and disciplining, submitting records and documentation as required by Library and Jefferson County Policy.
- Conducts regular staff meetings with subordinate staff.
- Communicates changes in policies and procedures to direct reports and implements them as directed.
- Provides technical guidance and support to ensure conformity with established policies, rules and regulations.
- Anticipates and solves problems as non-routine situations arise.
- Promotes professional development and leadership skills among direct reports and teams.
- Responsible for creating and implementing change management plans and strategies that maximum employee engagement and minimizes employee resistance.
- Provides leadership towards the Library's mission, vision and values.
- Serves as a member of JCPL’s Executive Team, Director’s Team and Management Team.
- Collaborates and coordinates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish JCPL goals and objectives as well as Division goals and objectives.
- Uses and continually develops leadership skills, participates in on-going development activities, regular trainings as well as attending conferences.
- Develops and monitors the division budget.
- Works collaboratively with other division directors in the decision-making process regarding the final JCPL budget submission.
- Researches and implements cost savings where needed.
- Provides input to annual plans, budgets and assists with system-wide initiatives.
- Ensures budget guidelines are met and resources are appropriately allocated in areas of responsibility.
- Directs major projects and system resources with budgetary and decision-making authority over those resources.
- Assists the Library Executive Director with allocation of resources to effectively deliver on organizational strategy.
- Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position.
- The above statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required.
- JCPL retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential and additional functions of the job at any time without notice.
- Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
Additional Job Description
Required - Bachelor's degree in Business Communications, Public Relations, or related field.
Required - Minimum of 5 years of work experience in Business Communication and Stakeholder Engagement at a Director level or higher.
Required - Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience of other Directors and/or Managers.
Preferred - Minimum 10 years of experience with Budgeting, Communications, Change Management, Press Release Creation, Directing Stakeholder Engagement and Graphics and Marketing Solutions Management.
Preferred - 10 years of experience supervising other managers and organizational leadership.
Preferred - Master’s degree in related field.
Preferred - Fundraising experience.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.
External Job Ad