Central Library Staff 14949 E Alameda Pkwy Aurora, Colorado 80012-1563
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $15.25232 - $19.06540/hourly
The salary range for this position is $15.25232 - $23.83175/hourly
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community. Please go to www.auroralibrary.org to learn more about the Aurora Public Library.
Library Services Summary
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Printing, faxing and scanning services
- Community events, programs, and activities for all ages
Cultural Services Summary
- Aurora History Museum and Historic Sites
- Aurora Fox Arts Center -Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
The individual in this position must provide the highest level of customer service assisting library customers with circulation services, account help, finding library resources, answering general questions, and providing basic technology assistance. Strong customer services skills, attention to detail, genuine interest in helping people from a diverse community of all ages and a friendly outgoing demeanor are essential for success in this position.
Locations: Will work primarily at assigned location below, hours may change based on business need. May be required to occasionally to substitute at another Aurora Library location based on staffing needs.
Central Library (Aurora Public Library)
14949 E. Alameda Pkwy.
This is a part-time benefited position working 20 hours per week.
Primary hours will include days, nights, and weekends. Hours are subject to change dependent upon department needs.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drives a full-size van delivering books/materials to other library locations up to several days per week as part of a pool of courier staff
- Provides friendly, efficient and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email
- Checks books/other items in and out through computerized system
- Answers general customer questions regarding library policy, procedures and customer accounts
- Answers basic reference, reader's advisory, general customer questions, and provides basic computer usage support
- Redirects more advanced reference questions to Reference staff as appropriate
- Operates a cash register, conducts customer payment transactions, maintains a cash drawer
- Performs data entry into library system, spreadsheet and other databases
- Sorts, processes, shelves and assists with other general library materials inventory management duties
- Retrieves paged items from shelves
- Assists with research and programs as needed
- Proactively ensures that library space is neat and organized (e.g. furniture and equipment is in order, shelves are well organized, displays are creative and refreshed regularly)
- Conducts general office/administrative/clerical tasks as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & WORKING CONDITIONS
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements on a year for year basis
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 6 months customer service and/or retail experience
- Experience within a library system is preferred
- Customer service techniques, routine software/computer systems including the internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, database input/use, and inventory/customer transaction systems
- Ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally, appropriate manner
- Use general office equipment, computers, calculators, and copy/fax machine
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Work shifts, including some nights, and weekends
- Ability to drive a full-size cargo van in varying weather condition, transport/carry using a dolly bins of library books/materials
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred
Licenses and Certifications:
- Driver's License with good to excellent driving record
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Physical work requiring the ability to lift 40 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing, bending, stooping, walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment, carts, and moveable shelving
- Vision to read and interpret reports, documents and other written information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment with shared work stations and equipment
- Works primarily indoors but also works outdoors when delivering library materials in varying weather conditions
- Shift work to include days, nights, working weekends and occasional holidays
- Must be willing to work at least one closing shift
- Frequently uses computer keyboard and telephone, fax machines, copiers and microfilm equipment
- Full-size cargo van
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.
External Job Ad