Purpose: The Events & Hospitality Planner is responsible for coordinating and supporting externally-booked room reservations at Douglas County Libraries (DCL) and all large scale internal staff events. This service-oriented position works directly with external customers providing satisfaction from planning and room reservation services to on-site event coordination. This position is also responsible for the coordination and onsite execution of DCL’s largest internal staff events. This intrinsically motivated role executes logistics, facilitates technology and audio/visual services, and acts as a DCL host for both external and internal community customers during the event.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
45% Event Management:
- Assists with coordinating and planning external customer meetings and events and provides back-up support to the Events & Hospitality Manager.
- Coordinates and plans large scale internal, staff events through budget management, activity and presenter selection, catering coordinating, assists with internal promotions of event and communication messages and overall planning timeline management.
- Manages time and projects effectively. Resolves errors and problems to ensure every event is properly set up, technology is functional and special requests are fulfilled, thereby delivering an event that exceeds customer expectations.
- Develops a familiarity with each DCL branch, anticipating and remediating idiosyncrasies of each building, room and space, including elevator systems, lock systems, door entries, parking, and floor plans. Takes ownership of safety and security at each DCL Branch outside normal business hours.
- Defines and understands multiple tiers of services available for clients and events.
- Serves as event liaison, coordinating event logistics before, during, and after events. Understands and anticipates customer needs.
- Creates positive experiences for customers by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
- Demonstrates a professional, positive, cooperative, team-oriented working relationship with staff, coworkers, and volunteers.
- Transports and displays event decorations and specialized equipment for birthday parties and other events.
- Collaborates and coordinates volunteers for games and programs at birthday parties and other events.
- Cordially and professionally greets and hosts guests, anticipates needs, and ensures complete guest satisfaction.
- Serves as on-site host the entirety of event length, actively looking for ways to improve event and help people, and checking in with customer periodically to ensure event success.
- At event’s conclusion, facilitate room clean up, resetting furniture to original floorplan, and coordinates cleaning with Porter to ensure room is ready for use.
- Primary planner for internal DCL events to include research and contracting support and onsite logistics execution.
- Builds and maintains strong interpersonal relationships with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources.
- Communicates using excellent verbal and written skills to facilitate transparent flow of information to internal and external customers.
- Identifies complex problems and evaluates options to resolve problems and remediate conflict.
- Maintains databases, filing system and organizational calendar. Documents processes and recommends improvements.
- Provides excellent, responsive customer service to community customers via telephone and through the online reservation process, collecting accurate information, telephone inquiries, written correspondence, and drafting event contracts. Acts and responds in a consistent, timely manner with every customer.
- Assists with daily branch use of civic spaces including on-site room reservations, site/branch calendar maintenance, and communication regarding daily hosted events.
- Represents DCL and works at signature events.
- Engages in the DCL performance feedback system and completes the expectations outlined by your supervisor and department/division.
10% Team Coordination:
- Leads and prioritizes all Event & Hospitality coordinator work under the guidance of the Events & Hospitality Manager.
- Makes basic scheduling decisions for Event & Hospitality coordinators as a backup to the E&H supervisor.
- May act as a lead or mentor to E&H coordinator staff.
- Leads team in special projects and coordinates areas of their responsibilities.
- Stays abreast of branch and district updates by reading emails, meeting minutes or designated message boards.
- Attends department and branch meetings as assigned.
10% Technical Performance:
- Maintains expert knowledge and use of computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Apple and PCs. Proficient in software systems including room-floorplan, room-reservation, event assignment, customer/contract/proposal system, and other industry-related software.
- Ability to learn new technology that is introduced in the industry and the organization, as needed.
- Experience with facility rentals software.
Performs other duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change
Additional Info & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years’ planning experience
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) preferred
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have a reliable method of transportation between all DCL locations. Vision is 20/40 or better in either eye with or without corrective lenses, and total combined horizontal field of vision, with both eyes, of at least 120 degrees. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
External Job Ad