Tallyns Reach Library 23911 E Arapahoe Rd Aurora, Colorado 80016-4120
The hiring range for this position is $18.12 - $22.66.
The salary range for this position is $18.12 – $28.32.
The City of Aurora's Library and Cultural Services Department is looking for a Library Assistant to provide the highest level of customer service. This is a full-time position located at the Tallyn’s Reach Library Location: 23911 E Arapahoe Rd, Aurora, CO 80016.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community. Please go to www.auroralibrary.org to learn more about the Aurora Public Library.
Library Services Summary
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Printing, faxing and scanning services
- Community events, programs, and activities for all ages
Cultural Services Summary
- Aurora History Museum and Historic Sites
- Aurora Fox Arts Center -Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
The individual in this position must provide the highest level of customer service assisting library customers with circulation services, account help, finding library resources, answering general questions, and providing basic technology assistance. Strong customer services skills, attention to detail, genuine interest in helping people from a diverse community of all ages and a friendly outgoing demeanor are essential for success in this position.
Locations: Will work primarily at assigned location below, hours may change based on business need. May be required occasionally to substitute at another Aurora Library location based on staffing needs.
Tallyn’s Reach Library (Aurora Public Library)
23911 E Arapahoe Rd, Aurora, CO 80016
Primary hours will include days, nights, and weekends. Hours are subject to change dependent upon department needs.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis. As soon as we determine we have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides friendly, efficient, and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email.
- Assists customers with accessing and using library resources (books, databases, computers, etc.) and computer questions related to Microsoft Office products, internet navigation, email services, third party web sites and other software applications on public computers.
- Assists in creating programs on a wide range of topics (computer, research, English as second language, literacy, discussion groups, book clubs, tours, story-times, etc.) on or off-site.
- Functions as the on-site person in charge overseeing staffing and facility customer related functions in the absence of the Supervisor or Librarian
- Performs basic readers advisory and basic reference searches using library resources, on-line databases, and other reputable sources.
- Creates and maintains displays, bulletin boards, and other merchandising efforts.
- Checks books/other items in and out, manages patron accounts, places items on hold, processes prospector items through computerized system.
- Assists with collection/inventory management duties that may include weeding, sorting, and shelving.
- Proactively ensures that library space is neat and organized (e.g. furniture and equipment is in order, shelves are well organized, displays are creative and refreshed regularly)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & WORKING CONDITIONS
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements on a year for year basis.
- Bachelor's Degree in library science or a related field
- 1 year of customer service or library experience
The ideal candidates must possess:
- Enthusiasm, passion and patience working with children, teens and adults
- High sense of initiative and creativity and the ability to think of interesting ways to relate to children, teens, and adults
- Experience in outreach or similar activities
- Experience with developing and conducting classes and programs for children and teens
- Primarily sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- This job could be challenging at times, due to working in an environment that includes many distractions and interruptions
- Uses standard office equipment including personal computer and common office software such as email, internet, Word, Excel and menu driven databases as a part of the Library automated systems
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.
External Job Ad