Colorado Academy seeks candidates for the position of Upper School Librarian for Raether Library. This is a 10-month, full-time, ongoing appointment to begin on August 7th, 2023. This position reports to the Director of Libraries and the Upper School Principal. The Upper School Librarian works collaboratively with the Middle School Librarian and the Raether Library Assistant to support the students, faculty, and staff primarily in the Middle and Upper Schools.
- Empowers all members of the learning community to become critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, curators, and ethical users of information
- Plans cooperatively with teachers to incorporate digital and print resources into classroom curriculum and to embed research skills into lessons and projects
- Works in partnership with Upper School leadership and faculty members to provide expertise for students and colleagues around inquiry-based learning and best practices in research
- Collaborates with the Pre-K-12 Library Team to promote and grow library services within the library community and scaffold research skills that foster smooth transitions for students through all three divisions
- Partners with the Educational Technology team to leverage existing and emerging technologies to foster innovation, creativity, and curiosity among students
- Informs teachers and students of new materials and resources that meet their information needs and invites them to request materials for purchase that will support curriculum and learning
- Participates in grade level, department, and school curriculum development
- Maintains a current awareness of young adult literature and services, as well as professional trends, methods, and ethics
- Promotes relationships with local public libraries and university libraries
- Creates and maintains a welcoming library environment that is attractive, inviting and conducive to learning
- Fosters an interest in books and a love of reading through readers’ advisory, book talks, book clubs, author visits, and related activities
- Selects and maintains a collection that is diverse in format and content to support the learning needs of the students; keeps the collection in good physical condition
- Performs circulation desk duties, reader’s advisory, and reference services while supervising students within the library
- Demonstrates a commitment to the principles of the library profession regarding confidentiality, the rights of the users, and other intellectual property concerns
- Implements and interprets library policies and procedures for students and staff
Other responsibilities and opportunities
- Supports and collaborates with the Raether Library Assistant
- Serves as advisor to Upper School student advisees
- Coordinates and supervises an Upper School spring Interim trip/program
- Attends and contributes to ongoing internal professional development
Key Skills and Values
- Enthusiasm for working with Upper School students and teachers
- Self-starter, flexible, collaborative
- Welcoming to all members of the community
- Experience using library management systems and catalogs and maintaining a digital library presence
- MLIS from an ALA accredited institution
- 3+ years experience working in a school library, preferably supporting grades 9-12
- Candidates should be eager to join a team where collaboration is valued and where openness to growth is the norm.
- Demonstrated intercultural competence: the ability to understand and bridge diverse perspectives, identities, and lived experiences is a must.
- Candidates are expected to carry out the mission of CA, "Creating Curious, Kind, Courageous, and Adventurous Learners and Leaders," to support the vision of the Upper School, and to contribute to the life of the school outside of the classroom.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The pay range for the position is $60,000 - $80,000. This is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the possible compensation at the time of posting, Colorado Academy reserves the right to pay more or less than the posted range. Any wage differential that may exist for the position does not relate to sex, gender or gender identity, but relates solely to a seniority system, a merit system, or relevant education, training and/or experience.
The Academy offers an excellent compensation package, wide-ranging opportunities for professional development, and an environment notable for its dedicated teaching professionals and supportive administrators. Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance benefit programs are available, as is a 403(b) retirement plan. Eligibility for all benefit programs is defined by the applicable plan document.
Colorado Academy is an independent Pre-K - 12 college preparatory day school with an exceptional campus community. Here, we turn ideals into action – challenging our students to become lifelong learners, thinkers, inquisitors, and contributors.
Colorado Academy does not discriminate in any of its programs, procedures, or practices on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, military service, or other protected status.
External Job Ad