The West Warwick Public Library (IMLS National Medal finalist ‘21 & ‘22) seeks a creative, bright, and motivated individual for a full-time position as the Youth Services Librarian. This position reports directly to the Head of Youth Services. The Youth Services Librarian is responsible for library services for children ages birth through 18 and their parents and caregivers. This includes collection development, early literacy programs, story times, sensory programming, after-school programming for kids & teens, and more. Under the direction of the Head of Youth Services this position is responsible for planning, organizing, developing services and maintaining a collection for the entirety of the Youth Department.
Examples Of Duties
● Develops services and programs for young people; conducts services and programs for young people as part of regular duties.
● Oversees and supervises part-time staff with direction from and in the absence of the department head.
● Coordinates youth service operations with other library departments to develop programs and services to meet the specific needs of children, teens, and
● Assists children, teens, parents, caregivers, and teachers with library services.
● Provides readers advisory and acts as a liaison with schools, daycare, and homeschoolers.
● Evaluates and maintains a collection of materials in all formats for young people.
● Assists in promoting library use both in person and digitally by creating attractive promotional materials and using social media.
● Keeps current with new trends in library planning and services.
● Meets with other library staff and outside organizations in order to coordinate activities and exchange information.
● Attends professional development and participates in professional organizations.
● Represents the library and participates in outreach efforts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library functions.
● Considerable knowledge of the needs and abilities of babies, children, and teens.
● Extensive knowledge of Youth literature and interests spanning ages 0-18.
● Effective written and oral communication skills.
● Ability to administer programs and activities for children and teens.
● Ability to develop short and long-term development and operation plans and
programs for the youth department.
● Practiced ability to establish effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies and the general public.
● Excellent customer service skills both in person and over the phone or email.
● Creativity, planning, and organizational skills.
● Proficiency in Sierra, Koha, or other ILS systems, Microsoft Office, and use of PC computers.
A Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college OR Degree conferred by May 2023. At least one to three years of library experience and one to three years of experience working with youth required. OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hours: 35 hours a week, including some evenings and alternate Saturdays.
Starting salary: $38,638. Excellent benefits package, including generous vacation,
sick and personal days allowance, and longevity payments after four years of service.
Collegial working environment.
An affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Send Cover letter and resume by 4/7/23 via email to Rashaa@wwpl.org with the subject heading “Youth Services librarian position”
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
We offer an excellent benefits package, including generous vacation, sick and personal days allowance, robust health and dental insurance plans, and longevity payments after four years of service.
Additional Info & Requirements
As a reminder, we are searching for a candidate with a Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college OR Degree conferred by May 2023. At least one to three years of library experience and one to three years of experience working with youth required. OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
West Warwick Public Library is a two-time finalist (2021, 2022) for the Institute of Museum and Library Science's National Medal Award - the highest distinguished honor a library can receive. We have a wonderful group of enthusiastic staff, who are forward-thinkers constantly striving to curate new books, adopt innovative trends, and host engaging programs. We have three floors jam-packed with materials, program rooms, and study spaces. We host the largest collection of loanable Tabletop RPG resources, dozens of games, have an on-site ELL (English as a Second Language) classroom, a passport creation assistance program, notary services, community outreach book groups, tech classes and tutoring, LGBTQ+ clubs, and we actively participate in and host West Warwick Pride celebrations. Due to proximity and centrally located in the smallest state, we cater to the wonderful people of West Warwick and beyond. Our community relies on their library as a one-stop shop for assistance in all aspects of their life, and we work hard to deliver top notch services to them.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Full application information varies by position. Please see individual job postings for details related to the job and where to send resume and cover letter. For more information and to explore our open positions, visit wwpl.org/jobs, call us at (401) 828-3750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.