Central Library Staff 14949 E Alameda Pkwy Aurora, Colorado 80012-1563
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Hiring Range for this position is $14.81262 - $18.51577/hourly
The Salary Range for this position is $14.81262 - $23.14472/hourly
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
This is a variable hour non-benefited position to work variable hours, including weekdays, evenings and weekends. This position will work 20 hours/week.
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We are looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to strengthen our team of talented and valued employees. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect,Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values.
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community.
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Retirement centers and community events and programs or activities for all ages
- Aurora History Museum
- Aurora Fox Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
Aurora Public Library is seeking energetic individuals to provide the highest level of customer service. This is a part-time, non-benefited position providing library customer service and opening and closing duties in an independent work environment. The individual will also be responsible for conducting basic library materials processing and handling duties.
Locations: Will work primarily at an assigned location, hours may change based on business need. May be required to occasionally to substitute at another Aurora Library location based on staffing needs.
- Central Library, Youth Services (14949 E. Alameda Pkwy, Aurora, CO 80012)
Primary hours will include days, nights, and weekends. Hours are subject to change dependent upon department needs.
This posting is subject to close at any time without prior notice
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides friendly, efficient, and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email
- Accurately and efficiently shelves library materials
- Assists with materials check in, check out and other basic materials processing through computerized systems
- Answers basic customer questions and provides basic computer usage support to customers
- Performs additional duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & WORKING CONDITIONS
An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered
- High School diploma or GED
- At least 6 months customer service experience
- Library background a plus
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, email and internet navigation)
- Able to work alone and be reliable in a self-supervised environment
- Ability to provide high quality customer service for customers and work effectively with fellow employees
- Use general office equipment including computers
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Available to work part-time hours during days, evenings and weekend
- Ability to have transportation to work at other locations or split shifts among locations when staffing is needed
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software; keyboarding skills
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
- Light physical work requiring ability to lift 20 pounds
- Frequent lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Frequent lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard, carts and moveable shelving
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment and computer software
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.