The Division of Communications and Engagement advances the Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) mission, vision and values through the development of brand solutions, community relations, integrated internal and external communications, marketing and demand generation. The Communications Manager collaborates across the community of Library stakeholders, supervises the content team and oversees the Library’s social media, e-newsletter and copywriting data for assessment of promotional efforts, monitors networks and ensures consistency of Library messaging, positioning, and content standards. Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology. Position reports to the Director of Communications and Engagement.
The salary range for this position is $58,826.80 - $75,004.18.
A cover letter is required for this position. Please upload this along with your resume.
- PROMOTIONS AND MARKETING: Provides editorial management and oversight of the creation and development of promotional materials to engage stakeholders in Library events, resources and services. Ensures consistency with Library brand and style guidelines; collaborates with library stakeholders to promote system-wide community events and activities in the promotion and marketing of the Library; and assists the Library’s Foundation with similar communications support. Manages the production and dissemination of public information via print, video and electronic resources; edits articles and/or materials generated by other staff members; writes, edits or approves communications content; and coordinates print, graphic and web distribution. Manages the Library’s advertising campaigns (print and electronic), in support of key Library services and events. Coordinates special projects. Works collaboratively with other divisions to prioritize and align messaging. Ensures integration of marketing initiatives across multiple formats and channels.
- MEDIA RELATIONS: Supports the Library’s media relations efforts by maintaining relationships with media contacts; fielding media inquiries; developing press releases and support materials; serving as a backup spokesperson for the organization and pitching/distributing calendar items, press releases, feature stories, letters to the editor and other media tools.
- STRATEGY & IMPLEMENTATION: Leads the development and implementation of marketing and promotions plans to support Library goals and objectives. Focuses primarily on promotions and marketing and provides support to employee communications, media relations, community relations and the Library’s Foundation. Contributes to the development and implementation of annual stakeholder engagement plan to support Library goals and objectives.. Performs other related work in support and advancement of Library operations as needed or required.
- INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS & COMMUNITY RELATIONS: Assists in communicating the direction and strategies of the Library with and to employees via internal print, video, electronic and other communication resources. Collaborates to develop key content for the employee intranet. Facilitates communication using email, meetings and telephone. Coordinates best practices for internal communications and supports other divisions in following those practices. Assists with special projects as needed. Oversees the development and implementation of promotional campaigns; prioritizes requests from across the library. Participates on various Library, community, county and state teams with regard to Library matters.
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Participates in division strategic and budgetary planning procedures. Provides input to annual plans, budgets and assists with system-wide initiatives. Contributes to department evaluations and reports.
- SUPERVISION & MANAGEMENT: Hires, assigns, trains, directs and supervises the division staff as well as temporary staff, volunteers and interns in area of responsibility. Coaches on industry best practices. Administers or makes recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting direct reports including recruitment, orientation, training, setting performance goals, assigning and reviewing work, approving time cards, approving leave, appraising and disciplining, submitting records and documentation as required by Library and Jefferson County Policy. Conducts regular staff meetings with subordinate staff. Communicates changes in policies and procedures to direct reports and implements them as directed. Provides technical guidance and support to ensure conformity with established policies, rules and regulations. Anticipates and solves problems as non-routine situations arise. Promotes professional development and leadership skills among direct reports and teams. Serves as a member of JCPL’s CMT (Combined Management Team). Collaborates and coordinates with others in cross- functional teams to accomplish JCPL goals and objectives as well as Division goals and objectives. Uses and continually develops leadership skills and participates in on-going professional development. Maintains skills, knowledge and subject matter expertise in areas of responsibility and industry trends through training and professional development. Attends conferences and participates in development activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required - Bachelor's Degree in communications or comparable field OR comparable work experience.
Preferred - 3 years supervisory experience.
Preferred - Communications experience in government OR non-profit sector.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.
External Job Ad