· Leads stewardship, development, and curation of the MRL’s archival and circulating collections
· Manages, mentors, and advocates for the MRL’s staff and volunteers
· Provides support to the five BBCW museums, scholars, and the public, onsite and virtually
· Oversees the BBCW Resident Fellowship Program
· Helps support The Papers of William F. Cody Project (CodyArchive.org)
· Develops innovative interpretive programs, such as exhibitions, lectures, and publications
· Serves as chief spokesperson for the MRL through networking, public speaking and media engagements, presentations at conferences, and scholarly publications
· Collaborates with the BBCW Development Department to raise funds for the BBCW and MRL through grants and donations
· Works closely with the MRL’s Advisory Board and the BBCW Board of Trustees
· Knowledge or deep interest in the BBCW disciplines: American history, western American art, firearms, Indigenous peoples of the American West, and the natural history of the Greater Yellowstone Region
· Familiarity with current archival and research library practices
· Experience working with a variety of analog and digital resources in a research environment
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write for publication and to lecture compellingly on behalf of the MRL
· Demonstrated organizational and managerial skills, including employee supervision, project management, and budgetary development and oversight
· Supervises Associate Librarian, Archivist, Digital Technician, Reference Assistant, Volunteers, and Interns
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The salary for this position begins at $75,000 p.a., accompanied by a full benefits package.
Additional Info & Requirements
Required Education and Experience:
· Master’s degree in western American history or a related subject will be considered; Ph.D. preferred
· Additional Master’s degree in library science, archival studies, or related area preferred
· Candidates with a Master’s degree in library science with a deep interest in western American history or a related subject will also be considered
· At least two years’ experience in a leadership role
Cody is located approximately 50 miles from the East Gate of Yellowstone National Park. Served by Yellowstone Regional Airport, Cody is a thriving community focused on serving the needs of the stable population base as well as the hundreds of thousands of annual visitors who travel from around the world to experience the beauty and culture of this mountainous area.
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West (Center) is one of the premier institutions worldwide devoted to the history, cultures, and environment of the American West.The McCracken Research Library ranks with the likes of the Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley, the Beinecke Library at Yale, the Huntington Library, and the Western History Collections at the University of Oklahoma in terms of the depth and quality of its Western Americana research collections. Holdings include 36,000 books, more than 600 numbered manuscript collections, and over one million photographic images.
Through its collections and services, the Library supports the work of the five Center museums: Draper Natural History Museum; Buffalo Bill Museum; Plains Indian Museum; Whitney Western Art Museum; and Cody Firearms Museum. The McCracken’s rare books, historical photographs, maps, manuscripts, and rich ephemeral collections feature in the museums’ exhibitions and programs and are used extensively by researchers and curators.
To learn more about the MRL and its collections and activities, please visit https://centerofthewest.org/research/mccracken-research-library/.
External Job Ad
Please apply by submitting your resume, a cover letter explaining why you want this position and why you believe you’d be successful in it, and the names and contact information for three professional references to: Terry Harley at email@example.com. If you have questions about the position or require more information, please contact Karen McWhorter, Chair of the Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.