Bilingual Family Services Assistant
19 hrs/ week $13/hr
The West Warwick Public Library seeks a Library Assistant to work in the Youth Services Department and engage with English language learners and their families. This person should be bilingual, enjoy working with youth and families, be flexible and forward-thinking, and have an interest in public service in a team-oriented environment. This position reports directly to the Head of Youth Services and/or the Youth Services librarian and collaborates with the ELL department.
Description of duties:
- Under the direction of the ELL and Youth Services department heads creates and run Bilingual family engagement classes and programs.
- Assists adults and youth in locating materials and using computers.
- Performs general reference and reader’s advisory work, referring in-depth questions and inquiries of a research nature to the Youth Department Head or Youth Services Librarian.
- Responsible for shelving materials and other tasks designed to keep the collection and department organized.
- Assists with opening and closing of the Youth Department and general supervision of the department.
- Performs some circulation and clerical duties
- Provides coverage in the department.
- Provides in-person and telephone assistance to the public.
- Assists with preparing and facilitating programs as directed by the librarians.
- Repairs and cleans materials as needed.
- Designs and maintains department signs, displays, and bulletin boards.
- Assists with the program setup and clean-up as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and skills:
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual speaking capabilities are a must- English and Spanish Fluency preferred - however other languages will also be considered.
- Enjoys being creative and exploring new ideas
- Provide excellent customer service
- Excellent knowledge of computers and technology
- Experience working with children and teens
- Knowledge of Children and Young adult materials
- Familiarity with Koha or other Integrated Library Systems (ILS) is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to be flexible are a must.
- Public service or Public Library experience is a plus
Education Level: High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Additional education or experience is a plus
All Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter to the Head of Youth Services via email at Rashaa@wwpl.org with the subject heading “ Bilingual Family Services Assistant”.
1043 Main Street West Warwick, RI 02893 Applications are accepted until 6/12/23.
An affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Posted May 22, 2023
Want to have jobs like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up and tell us about the jobs you are interested in and we'll send you an email as new jobs are posted.