The Louisville Public Library seeks a warm, enthusiastic, customer service oriented and technologically savvy individual to work in our busy Adult Services Department. The Adult Services Librarian is committed to and offers excellent customer service, always putting the patron first. This includes understanding and using popular technology while helping patrons with basic tech questions, recommending materials to read or listen to, locating library materials and assisting with patron accounts. The ideal candidate has extensive adult and family programming experience, is comfortable managing a portion of the collection and has experience managing budgets; reads voraciously and loves to recommend books; has passion and an eye for attractive merchandising and display; confidently takes on new tasks, and projects and thrives in a collaborative environment.
Example of Duties:
- Warmly greet and authentically welcome patrons by suggesting and locating information and resources that meet their needs.
- Provide instructional assistance in the use of library-supported technologies and resources including basic instruction in using new and emerging devices and digital resources.
- Create and maintain fun and visually appealing displays for adult library users.
- Organize, coordinate and present events and programs to our community.
- Promote library services and programs for adults of all ages, visiting community and business organizations, senior living facilities, and any location promoting adult learning.
- Review and select materials in a variety of formats, including print, audiovisual and electronic.
- Manage and monitor collections to ensure they are current, accurate, and relevant.
- Manage appropriate portions of the acquisitions budget.
- Assume responsibility for Adult Services Division when working at the Reference Desk, and assume regularly scheduled responsibilities as person in charge of the Library.
- Education, Training & Experience:
Required: ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library Science or Information Science or completion of this program within 6 months of hire.
Preferred: One year of experience as a professional librarian in a public library with strong experience working with adults. Experience creating and executing successful programs and events is a plus. Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Reads across multiple genres and enthusiastically shares suggestions with our users and staff.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Approaches work with the public with energy, creativity, and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrates dedication to principles and practices of public library service.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Embraces change in work environment.
- Respects privacy of individual users.
- Exercises considerable initiative and judgment.
- Ability and commitment to communicate courteously and effectively with staff and patrons and provide patron services in person, by telephone or email.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiastically collaborates on projects with a willingness to take direction and learn a variety of tasks.
- Good organizational skills.
- Technologically literate and eager to learn library-specific tools, programs and digital resources.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Additional Info & Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to read, speak, and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands, fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to regularly move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth.
Expected start date of position: July 24th, 2023
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings