NREL staff perform world-class research and analysis. The NREL Library and team of librarians provide top quality reference research for the lab’s scientists, engineers, and analysts exploring energy systems and technologies—and the science behind them—for a future powered by affordable, abundant, and clean energy.
The successful candidate for this Reference Librarian role will provide information on a wide variety of subjects to research staff across the lab, often with short turnaround. The primary focus of this position is reference services which includes spending a significant amount of time on complex literature searches that cover a wide range of scientific and engineering disciplines.
Preference will be given to local candidates or candidates willing to relocate. A hybrid work environment with approximately one day of on-site work per week is anticipated. Remote employment may be considered for the right candidate.
The selected candidate will:
- Provide timely reference research services to researchers and management at NREL. Deliverables include comprehensive literature reviews, specific scientific information, market data, and traditional document delivery.
- Efficiently communicate with researchers to identify information needs and define the expected results.
- Cultivate relationships with NREL researchers to further the NREL Library’s role as a trusted partner in advancing NREL’s mission.
- Provide circulation services as needed.
- Along with other NREL Librarians, staff the NREL Library Reference Desk and provide walk-up service to the NREL community.
- Give outreach presentations to scientific groups at NREL promoting the Library’s services.
- Provide support to other projects and tasks as needed.
Relevant Bachelor's Degree and 5 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant Master's Degree and 3 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant PhD or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant JD or equivalent relevant education/experience. Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Considerable knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field. Strong leadership, project management and problem solving skills. Ability to use various computer software programs.
* Must meet educational requirements prior to employment start date.
Additional Required Qualifications
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library science (MLS, MLIS, or equivalent) and at least seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience performing in-depth literature searches in a variety of scientific and engineering fields.
- Experience with professional-level patrons in a library environment.
- Have the ability to function independently and collaboratively to identify and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrate a willingness to coordinate and communicate regularly with team members to ensure high quality work product.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please address how your qualifications fit the position.
- Previous experience at a Department of Energy National Laboratory.
- Previous experience using Zotero as a research and writing tool.
- Previous experience using the Scopus/SciVal database platforms.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)
Job Profile: Professional III / Annual Salary Range: $71,300 - $117,600