About Our Job
The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Librarian for the Smiley Branch Library. In this position, you will serve the community through programming, reference, technology assistance, readers’ advisory, and front line customer service. You will foster curiosity through the exploration of recreational and educational resources for all audiences in multiple formats. You can expect to challenge inequity by creating welcoming spaces that foster belonging for all, and by providing technology resources and assistance. Additionally, as a DPL employee you will strengthen connections among staff and community by gathering together to discover creative ways to serve the community. You’ll be expected to honor the public trust by providing the highest level of service and equitable access to reliable information resources on a variety of topics, including the full scope of library services. This position does not have any direct reports though it may occasionally entail being the person in charge or guiding other staff in the absence of management.
This youth service-focused position will plan engaging and developmentally appropriate early learning programming for children from birth to kindergarten and their adult caregivers. Programming will focus on Every Child Ready to Read practices and books and materials that represent a diverse range of characters, identities and experiences. You will also develop, plan and implement culturally inclusive and responsive programming for youth and be willing to take the library outside of its walls by performing outreach activities in the community.
You will provide a high level of customer service while assisting in circulation tasks in an environment with consistent public exposure. Spanish language skills are preferred but not required. You can expect to work the hours the branch is open, currently Tuesday-Friday 10-6 and Saturday 10-5 (with additional hours prior to opening). Open hours will expand to include Mondays and Wednesday evenings later this year.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please submit your applications no later than the closing date of 7/28/2023
- Spanish language skills are preferred but not required.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
- Experience with reference services, programming, trauma informed practices, and customer service.
- Ability to create and implement innovative services that sparks curiosity.
- Skill in providing information to a vastly diverse audience, leading with cultural humility
- Lived experience within the Smiley Branch Library community and/or the community-building skills to build strong ties with the customers and organizations within it.
- Knowledge of the core values of librarianship, including: intellectual freedom, privacy, democracy, diversity, sustainability, serving the public good, access to information for all, and library advocacy.
Education requirement: Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program.
Experience Requirement: One (1) year of experience solving problems and providing customer service to business or public clients.
Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
About Our Branch
The Smiley Branch Library is a location that is small in size but big in community engagement and customer service. This historic library branch was recently renovated to better serve the growing Northwest Denver community’s needs, yet it maintains its unique charm.