The Lyons Community Library seeks a creative and collaboratively natured individual to serve as a part-time Library Associate. Are you a people person who loves to connect with your community while providing legendary customer service in a face-paced environment? Do you happen to love children and have a storytime ready to pull out of your back pocket in case of emergency? Do you know exactly how to "sell" your favorite book to make it seem irresistible and life changing? Sounds like you’re a perfect fit for our resourceful, energetic, community-focused team! As the Lyons Community Library is warm and small, duties will include provision of library services to all ages at all service points. Position could include evening and occasional Saturday hours.
Under the general direction of the Library Director, you will provide timely information services, excellent readers’ advisory, general library instruction, and perform circulation duties for users inside the library. You will provide support and assistance at the main service point, at the youth department service point as needed, and for all library computers and technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Perform all circulation functions. Includes creating patron accounts/issuing library cards, checking materials in and out, and processing courier deliveries.
- Assist patrons in the use of library computers and aids with use of email, word processing, web-based searching, library-owned databases, and other common software. Provides guidance with basic functions such as saving and printing documents.
- Act as an information and referral source to patrons by communicating in person, by phone, and via electronic means. Performs simple to moderately complex research activities.
- Provide all-ages readers’ advisory.
- Frequently use new technology in daily duties to support patrons with new software and hardware, computers, and on mobile devices.
- Participate in merchandising the library’s collections.
- May assist with planning and/or presenting library programs and classes.
- May assist with social media marketing.
- Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS § 24-90-119, the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
- Champion the library's strategic goals and initiatives with the library's mission, vision, and core values in mind.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support for specialized projects, services, or programs and activities related to District goals and services.
- Attend related professional development and continuing education opportunities as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to thrive in a working environment that requires constant public contact with people from all backgrounds and age groups.
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor when working with customers, coworkers, and community members.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic Spanish-language proficiency.
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree.
- 2 years customer service experience; library experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and relevant job experience may be substituted for an ideal candidate.
Certificates and Licenses:
Possession of Colorado Notary Public certification or willingness to complete such.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
This position enjoys separate sick and PTO banks as well as 11 holidays per year.
Additional Info & Requirements
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed and/or required to:
- Work primarily in a library environment and rarely community settings.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, talk, and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift, and move arms above shoulder level.
- Bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, or balance.
- Ability to push loaded book truck.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, telephone, e-reader, barcode scanner, copier, and fax machine.
Post-offer background check required.
Our independent library district, located halfway between Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park, is a hip little hotbed of music, art, award-winning parks, excellent schools, festivals, and outdoor recreation. We are a small district with a big heart and our patrons are eclectic, involved, and passionate about community. The staff is a tight-knit and enthusiastic team of creative and dedicated professionals. We opened the doors on a brand-new 6,500 square foot facility in August 2019. Due to pandemic-related closures our building and services still feel new and exciting. Come, help us make the Library a valued resource for all community members!
Position is open until filled, but first consideration will be given to applications received by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 23, 2023. Please send a resume and letter of interest confirming your qualifications to: email@example.com with "Library Associate” as the subject line.