University of Colorado Boulder Libraries
University Libraries encourages applications for a Head of Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill & Music Branch Services! This role provides vision for and oversight of the implementation of all user-facing service points distributed across the Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill and Music branches. They own the creation and development of a coherent shared vision for reports who manage operations and supervise students in these locations and the development of a shared body of practices that coexists with and grounds services to the focused user groups that are constituents of these branches. The role brings service point staffers from Business, Earth Sciences and Map, Gemmill and Music libraries together to problem solve and build community within the section.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Provide vision & leadership for service points operations across the Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill & Music Branch Libraries
- Apply professional knowledge of Libraries policy and Libraries services to develop, coordinate and manage standards and expectations for in person research and circulation services at the above libraries
- Coordinate high-level scheduling across Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill, and Music libraries, working in partnership with the Reference Services Coordinator to schedule libraries employees across the University Libraries.
- Serve as co-lead of the Circulation Guild, working closely with Norlin Branch & Online Services Section Lead to guide decision making that represents all locations’ needs.
- Develop relationships within and beyond the Libraries to design policy and procedure improvements for patrons at the above libraries. Collaborate with Libraries Communications and Libraries outreach efforts to cultivate partnerships within UCB and System to improve and promote Libraries services.
- Coordinate reports supervising patron services associated with service points, including circulation, printing, scanning, research assistance, materials access, (using stacks, microform machines, etc.), general customer service and appropriate referrals.
- Provide research and circulation support at locations across the University Libraries.
- Systematize operations procedures across locations, documenting exceptions and leading development of training materials, processes, and documentation in above libraries, and providing vision for coordinated student worker experiences.
Oversee user experience and assessment in Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill and Music libraries
- Orchestrate user experience, data collection & assessment for the above locations.
- Coordinate assessment plans across locations to identify necessary changes in services, hours and facilities.
- Apply professional knowledge of user experience and assessment to develop and put into practice improvements in services, hours and facilities.
- Work closely with appropriate partners to share information from these assessments and develop solutions across the libraries.
Coordinate space, facilities and maintenance operations in Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill and Music libraries
- Coordinate with these locations’ Branch Operation Managers to ensure all locations have consistently safe, innovative, and user focused spaces.
- Provide support and guidance to Branch Operations Managers to implement ideas for spaces and facilities that meet unique user needs.
- Leverage shared needs to efficiently upgrade and maintain all locations.
- Coordinate with partners within and beyond the team and Libraries, in particularly the Researcher and Collections Engagement Team, Cataloging & Materials Management section lead to ensure that each section is mutually informed of relevant activities.
- Supervise and support direct reports at the service points in Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill, and Music Libraries to ensure a consistently high level of service is provided.
- Foster an environment of equity, inclusivity, collaboration, creative thinking and innovation for reports, colleagues and library users.
- Foster professional development of staff to meet the challenges of a constantly evolving environment; actively support a workplace culture that values and promotes a partnership and service philosophy.
- Provide input to evaluators of non supervisees who staff Business, Earth Sciences & Map, Gemmill and Music Libraries.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
What You Should Know
This position is working in a hybrid work situation, working 4 days on site and 1 day remotely per week.
What We Can Offer
- The salary for this position is $65,000 - $73,250.
- A small relocation assistance stipend may be available within University Libraries guidelines.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Additional Info & Requirements
What We Require
- A combination of education and experience that comes to a total of 6 years, some of which includes professional experience in libraries providing customer service.
- A Master’s of Library & Information Science may substitute for two years' professional experience.
What You Will Need
- Commitment to supporting service point operations both in person and remotely.
- Evidence of a strong service orientation and demonstrated commitment to a user-centered approach to library support services.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Five years of relevant, professional experience in libraries providing customer service.
- Experience working and communicating in and across highly collaborative teams.
- Experience working in an environment with dotted line relationships.
- Experience providing services in multiple locations of a library system.
- Experience in leadership or management of student and non-student staff, in any field.
- Experience with user experience or library assessment.
- Experience building teams that provide high-level user service.
Who We Are
We are a knowledge catalyst. We fuel inquiry, discovery, collaboration, creation, and the dissemination of knowledge. We welcome everyone, wherever they are on their educational journey.
An information-empowered world.
Empower | Connect | Learn | Inspire
Our values define our interactions within the Libraries and radiate outwardly. This means that we develop a culture that compassionately and authentically embodies our values in all aspects of our work.
We affirm diversity and inclusive excellence to be vitally integral to the Libraries’ mission and vision. We strive to model this in recruitment and retention, building collections, and offering services and spaces to develop a receptive social, intellectual, and physical environment for all. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusivity.
The University Libraries encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and that person may be one who comes from a less traditional background. As you review the qualifications, please think about how your qualifications are transferable if (at first) they do not seem directly related. Share how your skills translate in your cover letter. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t meet every preferred qualification.
External Job Ad
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by September 11, 2023 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu